Skip to main content

Pregnant With Evil?

                         Whoever is pregnant with evil conceives trouble and gives birth to disillusionment. (Psalm 7:14)

                To state the obvious, when a woman is pregnant, there is a human being developing in her womb. When someone is pregnant with evil, the evil is developing within their soul. It's not the plot for a devil baby movie. It’s not that someone impulsively lies or steals a pack of gum on the spur of the moment. They dream, envision, plan, contemplate, and even sometimes practice. This isn’t to say that they are master criminals with grandiose plans to take over the world. They needn’t have an IQ of 240. To be pregnant with evil means that the trouble they’ve conceived is premeditated. It’s not an “oops-baby.”

                The problem is, once the evil is done, the excitement starts to drain away. If the authorities get involve and excited, that makes them a little more interesting for a while, but over time, the novelty and adrenaline fade. You can only relive your old glory so many times before it gets boring, if not to you, then to your audience. And once it’s boring to your audience, the disillusionment sets in. It’s not as good as you thought it would be. You must either accept the failure, or find a way to do it better.

                This isn’t only true of evil, of course. You can be excited about doing something good and discover it wasn’t as good as you hoped, but the point today is that, in retrospect, evil often doesn’t live up to our expectations of it. Anticipation exceeds realization. What is being described is human nature. That’s why we need the warning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...