Skip to main content

Garbage

             Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, (I Peter 1:3)

                Something happened this morning that isn’t unusual to me, but that connects to this verse, at least after a fashion. As the communion crew finished prepping for tomorrow, one of the team collected stuff to throw out. She’d already flattened the box, which wasn’t of interest to me, but there were two gizmos that, when pressed down on the grape juice bottles, formed a handle so one could pick up two at the same time. I asked for those gizmos. If they do what I want them to, they’ll make watering plants easier. We’ll see.

                I say this isn’t unusual because at work, my coworkers know that I want to bring home cores from register tapes and weed barrier bolts, boxes, and lots of other worthless stuff. I’m one of those “this is a nice box, it might be useful for something” sort. Sometimes, I end up throwing them out, but many times, I find some use. For example, the register tape cores have been made into risers to lift planting trays up a little, so I don’t have to mess with the grow lights as often. I recognize that some might say this is bordering on hoarding, but as I said, I do throw things out or give them away, too. I also collect litter on my walks, and put the plastic and metal into recycling bins. I’ve earned a few dollars from the bags of cans I’ve taken to a recycler.

                As I looked at this verse of the day on BibleGateway.com, I knew I had to deal with the concept of mercy, and the “rescue” these things I bring home came to mind. Some could call the stuff trash, and they’re not wrong. They’re worthless to most of the world, ready to be added to a landfill or, if we’re somewhat luckier, in a recycling center. If I do throw them out, I’ll recycle what can be.

And all that stuff I’m talking about is us. We’re worthless pieces of stuff that don’t deserve to be kept, let alone used. And you know we don’t deserve to be treasured. That what the world says about us. That’s what Satan says about us. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the people we think love us don’t think the same thing. I have no doubt that some of us don’t think it about ourselves. And I suspect that God recognizes the truth of the claims. We are worthless garbage that doesn’t even have value for recycling.

But that’s precisely what mercy is. The whole universe can say, “Trash” but God decides to pick us up, look at us from various angles, and consider the possibilities. Don’t misunderstand, I’m only ignoring God’s omniscience for a moment. He knew His plans for us before the foundation of the world, but let’s use a little artistic license. He considers the possibilities and chooses not to throw us out. And unlike my primitive, unartistic creations, when He decides to make something of us, it’s a treasure and a masterpiece, even if we don’t see it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...