Skip to main content

Excuse Me, I Am A Distraction. May I Have Your Attention?


 

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2)
       Yesterday morning, I found myself in  a room with a TV on, starting with newstainment, running through  a Court reality , a quiz show and finally a panel style talk show.  I spent part of the morning trying to work on this essay, trying  to pick a passage, trying to put my thoughts together. Needless to say, until I decided to write about the fact that all the words and noise, I was too distracted to come up with anything. This isn't the first time something like this has happened. I can tell stories about catching ads or things said on TV that my coworkers didn't notice.
        I don't know what  distracts you. Sometimes, I think everything distracts me. It doesn't matter how important the thing is that I'm trying to do. The three things that seem to be a factor for my distraction  are my interests and the importance of the thing on which I'm trying to focus my attention, similarity between what I'm trying to do and the distraction. Let a bird fly by the window while I'm visiting, and chances are that I  I can listen to instrumental music and write. Anything that includes words makes it nearly impossible to work with words.  Let the words not make sense in some way and it's guaranteed  to  destroy my focus on my  own words.
          Distractions are inevitable. Some are easier to avoid than others. The easiest solution is to throw them off. Turn off the TV or stereo. Refuse to buy or borrow the distraction. I know of some writers who move to a secluded cabin in the middle of nowhere to write. Others lock their door and you aren't likely to disturb them more than once.

          Sometimes, none of that seems to help. Four passages of Scripture come to mind that illustrate ways that Jesus dealt with distractions.  First and foremost, when that "distraction" was a person with a real need, He dealt with the distraction by helping the person.  Sometimes, when we can't seem to avoid a distraction, we need to look to see if there's a person attached to it who needs us to stop being distracted by our own agenda.


          When the distraction was someone  who was just being distracting,  He sometimes quoted Scripture (Matthew 4.) That's often pointed out, but what He was doing in quoting Scripture wasn't "just" drawing on the Word of God. If the Word weren't true, quoting Scripture would have been a waste of His time. Quoting Scripture is focusing on the truth. He was ruthless in setting those who sought to distract Him straight. He went so far as to call Peter, "Satan."


          He also focused on His end goal: the joy of pleasing the Father and the joy of saving us. He didn't simply know the truth, He connected joy to it. Too often distractions allure us. You aren't as likely to pay attention to something less if you're really after something else.


          When it comes down to it, not being distracted comes down to just a two points:  love (of God and of our fellow man) and practice (also known as discipline.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t