Skip to main content

Why I Need The Boot

Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor (Galatians 3:24-25) 
         Sometimes, I just have to laugh at what God does. This morning, as I explained to people who haven't talked with me over the past couple weeks, I shared my suspicion that once the doctor gives me permission to go back to wearing a shoe on my left foot, it's not likely I'll refrain from doing things I probably should not do. The boot reminds me that I'm supposed to be restricting activity levels. It makes it difficult to do things I shouldn't be doing.  A good pair of walking or work shoes would probably protect my foot nicely, but it would be required to protect my foot from a wider variety of circumstances. As much as I want to be rid of the boot, there's part of me that knows me too well. That part of me says, "Keep the boot."
       In one of my Sunday School classes, we're discussing Romans, and part of the discussion had to do with the purpose of the Law. One of those purposes, as described in today's Scripture, is as a tutor, teacher or guardian. Its job is to instruct us when we're doing right and wrong, and teach us to do right. The teacher went on to describe two abuses of the Law, one being legalism (thinking that keeping the law is our means to please God) and the other being antinomianism (license, the idea that we have salvation and therefore we can do whatever we want.)
        As I said, I have to laugh. My boot is the Law. It tells me what I can and can't do. My shoes are, at least at the moment, license. None of us keep the Law. I have done things in my boot that I should not have done. No one may have said specifically that I should not do them, but I knew I should not have been doing them and I did them anyway.  I'm thankful for the boot, however, because I know that without it, I'd be doing even more that I shouldn't.  If you've never worn an air cast boot, think of the comparison between wearing hiking boots and flip flops.
          So, why did God allow me or cause me to tear the ligaments and tendons that connect my toe to the plantar plate? Because by doing so, He was helping me explain that the reason for the Law is to proscribe limits in order to prevent damage that would occur if we wore only our consciences, or perhaps no moral code at all.  It was never meant to heal us, any more than a cast actually produces healing, but properly used, it promotes the sort of behavior that will allow healing to occur.
 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Birthday of
James Buchanan Eads
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t