Skip to main content

Noble Savage, or Savage Monster?


                Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. (Genesis 6:11-13)

             Sometimes, people as how a "good, loving God" could destroy a people or even a world. The first problem with this is that it's illogical. It's a reductionist false dichotomy. It says that God can either be good and loving, or He can destroy. He can't do both, especially at the same time. The second problem with this is that it is often presented deceptively. The picture such people tend to give is that the people selected for destruction were some sort of noble savage. OK, they might have had a couple moral foibles, but generally speaking, they were just like us, but without technology.
            The reality as described in Scripture doesn't quite fit that story. First, the world is described as corrupt and filled with violence. Secondly, the people are described as corrupt and responsible for the violence found in the world. The idea of the noble savage is a 17th Century romantic bit of fiction that became a myth. Equally mythic is the notion that because it happened a long time ago, there was no technology. Our world moved from an agrarian society to what we have today in less than 200 years. The Flood took place about 1500 years after creation. That is quite enough time for a great deal of technology to have been developed. I'm not claiming that it did. I'm saying it could have. Of course, after the Flood, it and the evidence of it were all gone.
               From what the Scripture says, it is likely that the world was trashed. I believe it was in such bad condition that life could not continue. The people didn't have a few little foibles. Picture Syria, Flint, MI, Ferguson, MO,  and the worst areas of Los Angeles, New York City and Washington, DC all together, and on steroids. God's choice was either to wipe everything out that didn't get on the ark, or allow everything to be wiped out, period.          
             Why does any of this matter? First, it matters because those presenting the "innocent noble savage" story are standing in Satan's shoes, telling lies about the Word of God. Secondly, it matters because it lays aside the sort of temporal arrogance that has existed since the Renaissance, that somehow we are better than the ages that went before us. Thirdly, it is a reminder that when people make claims about Scripture, we need to go back and look at what it actually says. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 In the Sky
Mars at opposition (biggest and brightest)
On the Calendar
Trinity Sunday
Birthday of
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Richard Wagner

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t