Skip to main content

Argument


 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. (I Peter 3:15-16) 

For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (II Corinthians 16:3-5) 

          I won’t argue the point that I am argumentative, except to clarify what the word means. For some, “arguing” refers to red-faced shouting matches in which name-calling takes center stage. They argue that argument is a bad thing. Yes, they argue. They take a position the provide reasons why they do so. Some people think that arguing gets in the way of loving. I think that arguing can be a form of loving. Loving requires arguing because if two people are going to love one another, live together, or work together, there are going to be difference of opinion.
          I prefer my arguments in writing. Most people probably prefer face-to-face discussions but I tend end up with my thoughts tied in Gordian knots. In response to one thing someone says, I have six or more ideas all trying to move from my brain to my tongue and they end up jumbled. I hate feeling forced to answer in the split second after they finish speaking. Other people prefer face-to-face because they want to connect with the person. I don’t know, maybe they’re blessed with thoughts that politely wait for one another. Or maybe their thoughts have been better disciplined. 
          Regardless of your preferred method of argument, arguments are going to happen. Our passages today both address this reality. A key to arguing is to prepare. The Holy Spirit can miraculously give you the words to say, but the Bible tells us to be prepared to give our answer with gentleness and respect, and the only way to give an answer with gentleness and respect is to prepare. 
          The best preparing requires not only a firm knowledge of Scripture, but keen observation of the world as well. Over the past few days, I’ve been arguing on behalf of the Scriptural view of marriage. Not only have I been sharing Scripture that presents the Biblical view of marriage, but I’ve referred to research and applied logic. I’m not going to tell you that I’m the expert in arguing and that you should follow my procedure. Part of my argument is that the same God who designed the way the universe functions is the same God who sets the principles recorded in Scripture. Even though our universe is broken by sin, it still operates best when operated in the way it was designed. Those who argue against Scripture also argue against nature.
          As an example, those who reject Scripture have long argued that our world came about through evolutionary processes. Survival of the fittest and natural selection rule. Now they are arguing that a model for relationships that by its nature precludes procreation within the relationship should be granted equal or greater honor than a model that is naturally required for procreation. That violates survival of the fittest and natural selection in favor of sentimentality. When it comes to social policy and morality, what matters is not the cold hard facts of either Scripture or Science, but an idea that requires the rejection of both. That idealism continues to destroy our society because it does rejects even basic truths of the science they claim is our best understanding of reality.
          This, to me, is why we need to be ready to argue. It’s not about “my way or the highway.” It’s not about me winning. It’s a matter of survival (and not just of the fittest.) We need to read Scripture, to understand Scripture and to wisely apply Scripture, and part of doing that involves reading material that isn’t Scripture. There are hundreds of books on the subject. Today, my suggestion for your education is America’s Blessings: How Religion Benefits Everyone, Including Atheists, by Prof Rodney Stark. It shows some of the connections between religion and good social policy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t