Skip to main content

Laser Beams and Fireworks


Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (James 5:15 KJV)                 
          Years ago, there was an ad in which a man and a woman were near a fountain. The man threw his arms wide and shouted several times, “I love this woman!” 
          In response, the woman stepped close and murmured, “I love this man. I love this man.” I have no idea what the ad was advertising, but I loved the ad, because even though I’ve never been in the situation, I am the woman. 
          Over the years, I’ve seen dramatic proposals: men getting down on one knee on a stage in front of thousands, men having their proposals posted on a Jumbotron in a crowded stadium, men arranging flash mobs with a videographer there to capture the moment. I have often commented to my friends that if a man proposed to me under those high pressure, public conditions, I would say “no” and break up with him because it’s a form of emotional extortion. If she doesn’t say “yes,” she’s a villain. Look how much he loves her! If he really loved me, he would ask me in private, not make my response part of his choreographed performance.
        Today’s subject in Mr. Bounds’ book is fervency. Prayers need to be white hot. God hates lukewarm people and prayers. If you don’t raise your hands, sway (or even fling yourself) back and forth, if you haven’t crawled up nineteen flights of stairs on your hands and knees, if you don’t shake the rafters of the church with the sound of your voice…. OK, he doesn’t go quite that far, but the idea is there. For God to answer prayer, it’s got to be full of emotion – preferably desperation. Nothing else can matter as much as getting an answer to that prayer. If that’s not you, you need to pray that God will stoke the fires in your soul.
          Here’s my problem. When I am praying, I am talking to God. My focus is on Him and on what I’m talking to Him about. It’s not on whether I’m raising or waving my hands, on whether I’m dancing (which would definitely require that I pay attention to what I am doing), or the volume of my voice. As I perceive it, my prayers are a laser beam that goes from my soul to God. All of those other things require the dampening of the laser beam in favor of mere fireworks. When I worship, my hands are at my sides, or even folded across my ribs. There are people who think I’m angry or that I’m not worshipping. Some people judge me. Curiously, some of those same people, when they get to know me, comment on how intense and serious I am. 
         Today’s passage says that effective, fervent prayers accomplish much. I want my prayers to accomplish much and it often seems to me that they don’t. I certainly don’t receive dramatic responses like Moses, Elijah, Elisha, or Daniel and his friends received. And so this is my prayer:
          Not my will, but Thine be done, O Lord. If I must become a lunatic for You to be pleased with my prayers, then grant me lunacy.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t