Skip to main content

The Costs Of Infidelity


If a man takes a wife and, after lying with her, dislikes her and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” then the girl’s father and mother shall bring proof that she was a virgin to the town elders at the gate.
          The girl’s father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, and the elders shall take the man and punish him. They shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver and give them to the girl’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.
If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.  (Deuteronomy 22:13-21) 

Let me begin by saying that this is a tough passage for modern Americans to read. This is clearly not our culture, but let me point out what the passage does not say. It does not say that if a man discovers that his bride was not a virgin, that he must stone her. It does not demand that every woman prove she is a virgin before she gets married.
          This law was designed to protect young women from spurious accusations. Divorce, according to the Law, required a good reason. A man wasn’t supposed to be able to walk away from his marriage just because he wanted to, but infidelity was a valid reason. This passage provided protection for the young women. If the man was proven to be a liar, he had to give a large sum to his father-in-law. Some might object that it should have been given to the woman, but if it had, the husband would have had access to it. I believe the intent was for the woman’s father to hold it in case the fickle husband decided to abandon her.
         I didn’t share this passage with you because I think we should stone girls who have extra-marital sex or who can’t prove their virginity. I shared this passage because it shows how important faithfulness and integrity are. One couldn’t throw away a young woman by lying about her faithfulness and integrity. If a man tried to do so and was proven to be a liar, he lost his opportunity to ever divorce her and had to effectively set up an alimony fund of one hundred sheckles[1] in case he decided to abandon her. He had proven his untrustworthiness and the woman’s family and society were to hold him to his promise.
          It also taught women and their families that faithfulness and integrity were vital. It could not only be the difference between life and death for her, but the crime was also laid at the door of her family. In our society, sex seems to be nothing more than a way to escape boredom. We seem to have this notion that shaming is an even worse punishment than spanking. We’re told that kids are too stupid and too weak to say no to their hormones. Faithfulness, if it has any value, is valued only (and at best) eventually and only until. Parents claim helplessness and turn away from responsibility – or, worse, they treat their children’s sexuality as a source of entertainment. It’s “cute…romantic.”
          Forty to eighty percent of teenage school students (depending on race) claim to have been sexually active. Statistically, ten to twenty percent of those are going to contract one or more sexually transmitted diseases, many of which can do permanent damage. Psychology Today reports a strong correlation between teen sexual activity and depression. The statistics are higher among adults who are sexually active outside of marriage. Studies are showing that the best sex is within a faithful marriage. The Bible doesn’t command absolute faithfulness and abstinence just to make people miserable. It commands it to protect people and society from harm. Everything about living up to Biblical standards promotes a healthy, happy life. Everything about rejecting those standards promotes disease, depression and death. Now, tell me again how it is ridiculous it is to demand sexual responsibility from children. Tell me again how barbaric it is to shame them for doing something that leads to depression, death, disease and sterility, not only to them, but to their partners? Tell me again that fidelity and marriage are bad ideas. Tell me again how – when society has to pay the price for twelve million cases of STDs  (25% of them among teens) each year and the price depression how it’s not my business what “mutually consenting” people of any age do. When sixty percent of teens with depression fail to complete schooling, tell me again how society should turn a blind eye to this behavior. Somehow, I doubt that forty to eighty percent of teenage girls were stoned at their parents’ doors. Somehow, I doubt forty to eighty percent of young men had to pay out those fines. Somehow, I suspect their society was happier and healthier than ours.



[1] If my calculations are correct, that would be around $610 dollars using today’s value of silver. Slaves cost about $200 by comparison. Another resource set the value of a day’s labor at fifteen to seventeen cents, meaning that the fine for a false charge of infidelity was about 10 years. The equivalent idea today would cost a man falsely making the accusation $250,000-300,000.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t