Skip to main content

Great Favor


Good people obtain favor from the Lord, but he condemns those who devise wicked schemes. No one can be established through wickedness, but the righteous cannot be uprooted. (Proverbs 12:2-3)
                Favor? Good people obtain favor? What about all the folks in the panhandle of Florida who have lost everything? Are they all wicked? I came across a post on FaceBook this morning that said something about thousands of electrical linemen working to restore power to the region.  Of course, I can’t find it now. It may take a while, but imagine if there were none or only those who normally work in the area. I’ve seen posts from folks who are headed up there, asking for stuff to take to help the people. There are ways to contribute online. I haven’t heard yet, but I know my Erie are church has people who build and repair houses in areas where disaster has hit.   
                So my first thought is that “favor” does not mean miraculous protection from everything bad in life.  It also doesn’t mean that needs and wants are miraculously supplied.  Favor does not equal miraculous. This is one that bothers me sometimes. I have been greatly favored, but most of it comes through the hands of people.  Part of me almost resents being favored through another human being, but when that part of me rises up, I drive it back. I know people who reject the whole idea. “IIIII worked hard for this. It’s mine. I deserve it.” Who are we to tell God how He is to favor us? If He gives us a job that allows us to buy things, or a hard life that leads to the strength to withstand tough times, or someone who gives us something – it is still His favor that provides it. Recently, I did some math. I figured out that if someone who takes care of another person, whether a parent or a caregiver were paid minimum wage per hour, twenty-four hours per day, for a year, they would make $67,500. Bump it up to ten dollars an hour, and it’s $87,600. That’s without spending money. Mothers, Fathers, you are God’s way of favoring your children with over a million and a half dollars worth of care over the course of eighteen years, even before they spend a penny. As a caregiver, that makes me feel a little less like a failure. I have value, and that value is also a favor from God to my father. Pet owners? Yep, $67,500-87,600. It doesn’t matter whether you have an outside job, or not, because that outside job provides more resources for favor. 
                How does this differ from the lives the wicked lead? Perhaps very little. Perhaps only in their resentment of being a conduit for favor. Perhaps in the attitude that someone else should be the one to do the favoring. Perhaps it’s in their denial of favor to others, or through others. Statistics show that the children of single parents have a greater struggle than the children in a household where both mother and father live as a married couple. In denying favor to others, they deny it to themselves. In other words, perhaps the difference between the good and the wicked is one of attitude toward the favor God gives. Perhaps the condemnation He gives to those who devise wicked schemes is to let them go their own way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t