Skip to main content

The Prudent Keep Their Knowledge To Themselves?


The prudent keep their knowledge to themselves, but a fool’s heart blurts out folly. (Proverbs 12:23)
He said to them, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.” (Matthew 13:52)
          I have problems with this today’s passage from Proverbs. As I see it, there is no use in having knowledge that one is unwilling to share with someone else, especially if that information might benefit that person in some ways. In fact, I use the passage from Matthew as part of my mission statement. My mission is to love the Lord my God with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to love my neighbor as myself by bringing out treasures old and new – by collecting and sharing information. The way I see it, I have nothing of value that I can give other than information and ideas. (Referring back to yesterday’s post, that may not be TRUE, but I believe it.) Keeping my knowledge to myself seems hateful and selfish to me. I could have also shared a verse from Ezekiel saying that if someone sins, and we say nothing, we will be judged. 
          The comparison suggests to me (maybe it’s wishful thinking) that the answer isn’t that we should all keep our big mouths shut and never say anything to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “pass the salt.” The fool’s heart blurts out folly. Keeping in mind that for the people at the time this was written, the heart represented the will, not the pitter patter of emotions, one idea comes to mind. Someone once told me that you never tell people your “go up” goal, but you always tell people your “give up” goals. For some reason, they seemed to think that people will discourage your attempts to do better, but in pointing out your failures in giving something up, they’ll actually help you give it up. I’m not sure he was right, but I also remember sitting in the lunch room being lectured on how I needed to have bigger goals by a man half my age who proclaimed that he was going to – I forget just what he was going to do, but it was big. I remember thinking something along the lines of, “Yeah, well, we’ll see what happens after you’ve been cheated and beaten up a few times when all your dreams have turned to ash….
          It reminds me of another passage, Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. (James 4:13-14) When it comes to the heart’s boasting, we should definitely be prudent and let our deeds do the talking, rather than the mouth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t