Skip to main content

How Do You Choose Your Friends?


The righteous choose their friends carefully, but the way of the wicked leads them astray. (Proverbs 12:26)
          This is one with which I have a lot of trouble. I don’t tend to choose my friends. I can only think of a few times when I’ve thought, “There’s someone I want to be friends (or in the case of guys, more than friends) with.” They guys in question either wisely told me, “No thanks”- sometimes more bluntly than that, or they ran the other way. The gals generally weren’t a lot different. One that comes to mind met with me once and it felt like a business meeting. A long time later, we became better acquainted, but not really friends. I respect her and I’m fond of her, but I can’t say we’re friends. I did become friends with another for several years until her interests and mine no longer corresponded. Now, I don’t seem to fit into her world and, well, no one fits into mine at the moment. 
          Then, there are those who choose me. I don’t choose them. I am their project. One was “friends” with me for at least twenty years before she suddenly discovered (in her words) that I’m a narcissist and told me I was never to contact her again. I’ve had some of these folks tell me quite bluntly that they were being my friend because I needed one so that they could help me. I’ve been told when the “friendship” ended that others had told them not to bother with me, but they took a chance anyway. When I didn’t prove as pliable as Eliza Doolittle, or they discovered that their monster was more than they bargained for (poor, poor Doctors Frankenstein,) and well, that was the end and I am declared to be the monster. 
          Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I don’t have friends – and good friends. I’m not saying I’m the easiest person to be friends with or that I’m a good choice for friendship and they’re all fools for missing out on me. I’m just saying that I don’t tend to choose friends. I’m not sure most people choose their friends, but maybe that’s part of my problem. Maybe they do, and I don’t realize it. Most of my friends are people with whom I fall into acquaintance based on convenience. I’m there. They’re there. We chat. When either I or they aren’t there anymore, it’s over. I don’t really choose them. It’s within that category that I tend to find good friends. 
          So, I’m wondering how one would choose friends carefully. What do you look for in friends? What do I look for in friends? What would Scripture say about the matter? I’m not sure all of what it says, but today’s passage says that we should choose them carefully. After that, it tells us that the way of the wicked will lead them (the wicked? the righteous? Yes.) astray. Staying away from the wicked is recommended throughout Scripture. Some people would rightly state that Scripture tells us to love everyone, including our enemies, but there’s a difference between loving someone and being their friend. From today’s passage, it’s clear that the person one should seek for a friend is not a person who engages in activities one believes to be wrong, because there are two real choices in the long run: fight them or join them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t