Skip to main content

Noble


A wife of noble character is her husband’s crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones. (Proverbs 12:4)
          Here we go. I have a friend who mentioned that she gets tired of hearing about bad women, and how women “should” behave as told by a man. I understand completely. Keep in mind that Solomon wrote many of these proverbs to guide his son(s). I have a love/hate relationship with verses about women – I love them because I know God inspired them and they are true. A wife of a noble character is her husband’s crown, and a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones. One hundred percent accurate. Switch the roles and it’s just as true. I hate them because quite often the terms aren’t defined carefully, and the ideal presented seems to be to be unattainable. I don’t think it really is unattainable. I see it as such because the terms aren’t defined – which means I define them. and my definitions tend to be excessive when I try to apply them to myself. 
          I looked up “noble.” The dictionary says that it means behaving like a noble. Yes, I know, historically nobles have not been noble. I didn’t want to take all day trying to find ideas. I did find on site that provided what looks to me like good ideas.[1] I’m not going to even guess as to whether or not he’s a Christian (probably not) but he gives some food for thought. 
          First, he describes being noble as being patient. For him, patience means being tolerant, having control of anger, enduring harm received from others (no retaliation), being forbearing, and being deliberate in action. Patience demands that we be gentle, and not rash or hasty. Secondly, he says the noble person is chaste. That means the noble person avoids every imprudent characteristic. One who is noble is modest, has integrity, does not fornicate, is not stingy, does not lie, gossip, slander, libel or cause separation and discord between people. Thirdly, the noble person is courageous. He says this requires a proper sense of self-esteem (not too much, not too little), to emphasize good manners and make them a part of life, to be generous, strong-willed and determined. It requires that we distance ourselves from ardent lowly desires, to control our anger, and to curb violent and destructive behavior. Lastly, he says that to be noble requires that we be just. To be just means that we are impartial in our behavior toward people. We don’t favor the rich or the poor, the black, the white, or any other so-called race. We don’t grant special protections to any group or allow them to prey on someone else. It motivates us to be generous and kind, which he describes as the middle course between degradation and arrogance, and between cowardice and imprudence, and between extreme unnecessary anger and ignominy. 
          Overall, it looks to me like being noble involves being good without either being arrogant or a doormat. I like this idea. Abigail comes to mind. Her husband, Nabal, was a fool. His name apparently even means “fool.” David’s men had protected his sheep – we don’t know for how long. When it came time for sheering, David requested a little compensation, and Nabal not only refused, he refused rudely and then threw a party. When Abigail found out, she didn’t shrug her shoulder and say, “Nothing I can do.” She got food ready without permission and took it to David. She followed and talked sense into David, too. Later, when Nabal was sober, she told him what was what. 
          Being a noble wife isn’t easy. I think we’re all lacking in each of the four categories somehow, but the areas I’m most aware of my failure are in patience and courage. And part of the patience aspect is that we continue to be noble even when the husband is a Nabal.



[1] https://theinsanityofthesane.wordpress.com/2007/03/26/four-principles-for-a-noble-character/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t