Skip to main content

Are You Ready?

     Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good?  But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened.” But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. (I Peter 3:13-17)

The first issue of today’s passage requires that we think straight and keep our focus. Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? Not God. Not good people. Evil people might, but evil people are going to do evil things no matter how you behave. We’re not to be afraid of them. Instead, we’re to keep our focus on Jesus.

Suppose for a moment, that in addition to your enemies, there was a person who loved you, and who liked X about you. Would it really matter what the enemies said about X, if the one who lived you likes it? The key would be keeping your focus on the opinion of the one who loves you.

The second issue is one of reflection and attitude. We’re to have an answer ready for those enemies. How can we believe what we believe? How can we stand ourselves? How dare we say they are wrong? Answering, “I believe what I believe,” may shut down the discussion, but it doesn’t really answer the question. The same goes for feelings. If we are to give good reasons for what we believe, we need to reflect on those beliefs, to see what good reasons there are for believing them.

And as reflect on our beliefs and answer those who ask, we must answer in a way that makes the answer bigger than the way we communicate it. We are to communicate with gentleness and respect. No name-calling. No verbal abuse. We are to keep a clear conscience, meaning that we cannot tell lies to trick others into believing. No emotional manipulation or sleight of hand.

Are you prepared to have people say nasty things about you, and continue to say them even when they can’t prove? Ae you prepared to treat them well no matter how they treat you? Get ready.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t