Skip to main content

As For Me And My House

     But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 15:24)

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. (Ephesians 6:12)

Moses built an altar and called it The Lord is my Banner. (Exodus 17:15)   

          This morning, I put up my weather “red alert” sign for the first time. I tucked my plants in close to the trailer, locked the back-window cover into place and put the outdoor furniture where I can see it and bring it inside if necessary. Yes, Eta is only a tropical storm, but it’s good practice. I think I’m doing pretty well, so far, with this currently minor emergency.

          Since last April, when I got to Erie amidst the beginning of the pandemic hoopla, I’ve been thinking about my sorry state of emergency preparedness. There’s been enough to think about: the pandemic, rioting, looting, arson and property destruction, massive job loss thanks to the governors, shortages on supplies, wildfires, multiple hurricanes along the Gulf Coast, and a controversial election.

          It’s the last item on that list that concerns me the most. I’m deeply concerned about individual, constitutionally-recognized rights being stripped away. I’m concerned about the people who thought it their responsibility to assume the role of my parent, my master, or my God because of the pandemic will assume it their right to continue in that role. Now, I’ll grant, my magnification of “the worst that could happen” may never happen.

          But I’m not alone in these concerns. There are people – people who are at least reasonably rational – who are calling for resistance. And I agree. We must stand against evil. We must stand against what we believe to be wrong. It’s not a question of resist or not resist. It’s a question of the form that the resistance will take.

          The number one point is that whatever our resistance is to be, it absolutely, positively, must not ever follow the pattern set by those who resisted for the last four years. How can I make the statement strongly enough? If we do what they did, we are no better than they are, and we will invalidate the very ideals we pretend to uphold. If you found fault with the behavior of the resisters during the past four years, you’re a hypocrite if you resist in the same ways.

Back in the 50, Martin Luther King, Jr. proposed the following principles for non-violent protest:

  1. PRINCIPLE ONE: Nonviolence is a way of life for courageous people. It is active nonviolent resistance to evil.
    It is aggressive spiritually, mentally and emotionally.
  2. PRINCIPLE TWO: Nonviolence seeks to win friendship and understanding. The end result of nonviolence is redemption and reconciliation.
    The purpose of nonviolence is the creation of the Beloved Community.
  3. PRINCIPLE THREE: Nonviolence seeks to defeat injustice not people. Nonviolence recognizes that evildoers are also victims and are not evil people.
    The nonviolent resister seeks to defeat evil not people.
  4. PRINCIPLE FOUR: Nonviolence holds that suffering can educate and transform. Nonviolence accepts suffering without retaliation.
    Unearned suffering is redemptive and has tremendous educational and transforming possibilities.
  5. PRINCIPLE FIVE: Nonviolence chooses love instead of hate. Nonviolence resists violence of the spirit as well as the body.
    Nonviolent love is spontaneous, unmotivated, unselfish and creative.
  6. PRINCIPLE SIX: Nonviolence believes that the universe is on the side of justice. The nonviolent resister has deep faith that justice will eventually win.
    Nonviolence believes that God is a God of justice.

            I think there’s a lot of wisdom in these principles, but there are a couple item that I think we need to consider. We need to educate ourselves. We need to know what our terms mean, and make sure those words keep their meaning. In other words, we need to be clear and honest, which we can only do if we deeply understand what we are seeking.

            There is no room for foul language, foul actions, or foul attitudes. There is no room to hate people, bully people, abuse people, or be disrespectful of people (though what constitutes respect needs to be considered.) If we are to be victorious, we must fight the battle the right way, with the right principles, the right language, the right actions, and the right attitudes.

            If we protest – and such is our right – not only must we protest peacefully, but when we’re done, the place where we’ve protested should invite us back because we leave it in better condition than we found it. We must find ways to do for ourselves what they want the government to impose on us in a way that makes it clear that individuals can make a difference. We must be the best people we can be. What that looks like may be different for me than it is for you, but we must fully support each other in being the best people we can be.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t