Skip to main content

What Do You Put In Your Cupboard

 Wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight; stop doing wrong.  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed.  Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow. (Isaiah 1:16-17)

          God’s call to Israel through Isaiah. It doesn’t promise salvation, but it is God’s solution for that country going through difficult times. It speaks to the people, as individuals. The nation cannot be the “yourselves” that He is speaking to since He was speaking to one nation at the time. He’s speaking to individual people. The first step to solving their problems was for them to cleanse themselves of their sins. A few verses earlier, He said He would make them whiter than snow. There seem to be two sides to this equation, God’s side that makes them whiter than snow, and the individual’s side of washing and making themselves clean.

          If you moved into a place with broken cabinets and weren’t a carpenter, you would have someone remove them and put in new cabinets. That’s God’s part. After that, would you put rusty cans, leaky packages, or rotten food in those cupboards? No, you make sure that bad food doesn’t go in the cupboards. That’s our part – removing the garbage.

          What we want to stock that cupboard with, instead, are good, healthy foods that will make us strong, resilient, and healthy. We need a big can of “Doing What is Right,” a jumbo size jar of “Justice,” Several supersized boxes of “Defend the Oppressed,” and gallons of “Cause of the Fatherless” and “Plead the Case of the Widow.”

          What makes this a little tougher is that the oppressed, the widows, and the orphans may not be the same oppressed, widows, and orphans of two thousand years ago. Back then, conquered people, widows, and orphans had no means of support, nowhere to turn for justice. Those groups still exist, but there are other groups that also need our support.

          So who are the widow, the orphan, and the oppressed. I believe it fits the same pattern as the “neighbor” from the story of the Good Samaritan. The widow, the orphan, and the oppressed are anyone you trip over who needs help, whether or not they deserve that help.

Let me give an example: I lived all of my life with my father – more years than my mother did. Had my mother survived him, she would have gotten money from the Social Security Administration as his widow. That income isn’t available to me. So, I can sympathize with those homosexuals who live together for years but haven’t been permitted survivor’s benefits. I believe homosexuality to be 100% wrong, but it seems to me that there is justice in granting survivor’s benefits to one long-term companion of another sort – if conditions are met.

Another example, perhaps even better and harder. Is there someone you don’t like? Plead their case against you to yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t