Skip to main content

Fun, Fun, Fun

 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. (I Timothy 6:17)

 

          At least in the New International Version, there is no Bible verse that includes the word fun. Unfortunately, that’s the word I encountered yesterday, and the word that is on my mind to discuss. The closest I can come is “enjoyment.” The person who mentioned it asked something about what the best fun was. And as happens fairly frequently, I began my answer with “It depends on how you define…”

          I explained that I had spent vacations for two decades wandering through cemeteries, taking pictures of tombstones, and sitting in libraries looking for obituaries on microfilm. When at home, I’d spend several hours each week on Ancestry.com. That was fun. Stop that! I saw your eyes roll and that smirk.

          Over the past couple summers, I have enjoyed emptying boxes at a food pantry. Who cares about the people? Let someone else talk to them. But let me put out so much food that I empty and flatten boxes. That is fun. Or, let me go load containers with compost and dump them in someone’s garden. Or, let me pick up newspapers and put them on steps. Or let me write a book. Or let me weed someone else’s garden. I must admit, weeding my own isn’t as much fun. That’s work. Oh, and speaking of fun, how much fun is the realization that the right meal for “hump day” is Hot Dog!?

          I know. I’m crazy. I find fun - enjoyment - in strange places. But let me ask you which is more fun. Watching a movie you enjoy, or introducing someone to the movie who enjoys it as much as you do? If our enjoyment didn’t involve moving beyond ourselves in some way, social media probably wouldn’t exist. At the very least, there would be no share button.

          Now, you might not be the same way. I seem to enjoy serving. I enjoy doing for or with others. You might get your enjoyment out of giving things to people, or spending time with them, or finding ways to encourage them. I don’t know. I could be wrong, but I find myself thinking that our enjoyment tends to involve connecting with other people in some way. I don’t want to interact with people – but I want to do something that is useful to them.

     Abraham Maslow developed a theory that the last, but ultimately most important need a person has is “self-fulfillment.” One way of thinking of self-fulfillment is that we finally realize our godhood because everything is just the way we want it and can therefore enjoy ourselves. I submit that this is the lowest form of self-fulfillment. Better forms benefit more than just ourselves, and the best form would be the one that brings God joy, because that will be the one that best benefits the most, or the most needy.


      I have to add a postscript to this post because as I took Grace for a walk past the places I worked this morning, I kept thinking, "Oh, that looks so much better!" Our enjoyment comes not only in the doing, but in the fact that it is done, and it is "good."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t