Skip to main content

Consequences

 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. (Ephesians 6:11)

Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only. (Matthew 4:10)

But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” (Jude 1:9)

And so, we return finally to the passage in Ephesians. We have need of the armor because we are in a war, whether we want to believe it or not. The armor is what gives us the ability to stand. The armor is the power of God made available to us. It is not the only power that God has, but it is sufficient. As Nr, Gornall describes it, we appropriate God’s power by wearing the armor of God.

And if we do not? He suggests there are four consequences. The first is that we are alienated from God. If we refuse the armor and weapons He provides and go off on our own, we are on…our…own. Secondly, we are ignorant. Who rides out to war without armor? Only a fool, says Mr. Gornall. Thirdly, without a weapon, and therefore impotent. We are not the A-Team, or Robert McCall, or John McClane. We cannot turn duct tape and an office chair into an effective weapon. Even if we could, what good is duct tape and an office chair turned into a weapon against a foe who is spiritual? What hope can those provide when we face a dragon?

The fourth consequence is that we conspire with the enemy, committing treason against God. My first reaction to this was that the statement is overblown but consider. If you decide to go it alone, and approach the enemy without effective weapons, you have guaranteed your capture. You have foolishly but voluntarily surrendered to him. You are helping him achieve his goals instead of obeying God. What else could it be called than treason?

No, while we may not appreciate the armor described in this chapter, God has chosen them as the means to defeat our enemy. It is as we learn to use it that we will discover its effectiveness. Until then, we are called to trust God by donning and using the armor and weapons He prescribes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t