Skip to main content

I Don't Understand

           Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.  (Proverbs 3:5)


Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. (Deuteronomy 6:5)

 

This is my homework for the week. I’m supposed to camp on it, meditate on it, look at it in multiple translations and ultimately memorize it. I’m sure I’ve told the story before, but I’ve had a conversation with God that went something like:

“I don’t understand”

“That’s OK. You don’t have to.”

“No, You don’t understand. I don’t understand.”

And, of course, there’s the little problem with people (including me) saying, “I don’t understand” when they ultimately mean, “I don’t trust” or “I don’t approve.” Needless to say, I need to camp out on the first verse above and I doubt I’m alone in that puptent.

The first thing that comes to mind is the parallel between “with all your heart” and “with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength.” The New Testament version of the second list would add “with all your mind.” So why should we love with all our all-ours but only trust with all our hearts? Why should understanding not be part of the all-ours of trusting God?

Let me give a simple example. There are lots of people who are upset about the deforestation of the Amazon. I’m not saying deforestation is a good thing anywhere, but they are specifically upset about the Amazon as the major forest that supplies our oxygen. The problem is that 50-80% of our oxygen comes from the ocean.[1] Of course, the ocean is suffering as well, but the point is that according to the understanding of many, the big problem is the loss of rainforest even though that’s not really the biggest problem.

Simply put, our understanding is limited at the best of times, and nonexistent at the worst. The heart, on the other hand, was seen as the center of the will and the will can keep functioning even if the understanding doesn’t.

Tomorrow, we’ll consider the S-word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t