Skip to main content

His Power

             “The Lord is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him. (Exodus 15:2)

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. (I Corinthians 10:13)

Yesterday’s thought was on the idea that God is bound to use His power on our behalf. Dallas Willard might had described this as “sharing” His power with us. It’s reasonable to consider today when, under what conditions, and for what purpose He will do so. Our first impulse is to desire its use whenever we wish, for whatever we wish. Were our thoughts like God’s thoughts, this might be so, but too often, our thoughts are not like His, and so we must consider this question further.

I will begin with a disclaimer here. The ideas presented by Gurnall are not laws by which God is obliged to work. God can and does use His power on our behalf in other ways, but what he describes is still true. The first circumstance in which we can depend on God to use His power is when we are weighed down by sin. His power is greater than our sin. He has the power – among others – of forgiveness even when no one else will forgive. It is His power that is at work in you to sanctify you.

A second is when we are being overpowered by temptation. It seems to me that too often, I am “overpowered” by temptation the second it breaths on me. There’s no thought of standing against it. I take its offered hand and off we go. One of the ways His power may be given to us in this area is the power to recognize temptation for what it is. Another is to reject the temptation, which may require enduring it.

A third is when we are oppressed by Christian duty. Sometimes, being a Christian is hard. We may be called to suffer. We may be called to act when it is difficult, or to refrain from acting when it is in our nature to act. When your faith is weak; your love, frail; your patience, at an end; and your hope, lost – that is when we must turn to Him. He will supply. It may take time, but His power is sufficient.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t