Skip to main content

Deceived

            But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not just hearers who deceive themselves. (James 1:22)

One of the big issues facing society is one of identity. We don’t know who we are. On the one hand, we are told that it is wrong to culturally appropriate some aspect of a culture that isn’t our own. On the other hand, we are told that it is wrong to deny anyone any identity they want. I guess the whole point is that if I believe I am X, I am free to appropriate all of the culture of X, but if I don’t claim to be X, it’s wrong for me to appropriate the culture thereof. Except when it comes to man-buns. Men can appropriate feminine culture. It’s so confusing, and it’s meant to be. It’s all about gaslighting – either psychologically or morally.

But the problem is that this process damages further the whole concept of Christianity within society. Is a Christian someone who claims to be a Christian? Or is a Christian someone who hangs with other Christians? Or is a Christian someone who actually does what the Bible says a Christian is supposed to do? Or is a Christian someone who is involved in a relationship with Jesus Christ? 

            As we read through that list, we must bear in mind that each item excludes more than the item before. What this passage says is that it’s possible to be deceived about being a Christian – and not merely that you might deceive others in this regard. A person can claim to be a Christian and believe he/she is a Christian, and not be. The key is in whether or not we are and do what Scripture says – not perfectly, but in an increasing manner. What matters is whether or not Jesus calls us His.

            This doesn’t sit well with accusers. There are people who delight to pronounce that a person who says they are a Christian cannot be a Christian because the professing person does not meet with the standards of the accuser for some reason. We need to be very careful when we start making accusations, even against ourselves.

            At the same time, we are not to be fools. If a person claims to be a Christian and denies what Scripture says, the person may or may not be a Christian. They may simply not know better. They may simply need to be educated. Wisdom and patience are needed here. Included in both wisdom and patience is the stipulation that we do not attack the person. The focus should be on what Scripture says, not on what they do or believe. They may be deceived, but that is not sufficient to allow us to stop loving them – but we aren’t loving them if we do not point out their error.

            Even more critical is that we make sure we are not deceiving ourselves. We need as much wisdom and patience with ourselves as we do with them. And the first piece of wisdom is this: if we have concerns about our salvation, we need to take those concerns to Christ. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t