Skip to main content

Hatred

               “If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you.  If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you. (John 15:18-19)

 

                I’m reading a book about the armor of God as described in Ephesians 6, so you are forewarned that I’m likely to address that subject again at some point. But I haven’t actually reached that part of the book yet. There are other subjects that should probably be discussed here, but today, I want to begin with the reason we need armor.

             One of the things that bothers me about the way some Christians – and some non-Christians -- talk is their insistence that the devil is out to get them. The devil this, the devil that, or at the very least his demons this, his demons that. It seems to me that we human beings are more than capable of damaging ourselves. We don’t need the devil to tempt us to do something that destroys our lives, we’re champions in that sport. Why would a demon or devil think that someone as worthless as I am in the scheme of things waste its time on someone like me? I mean, if it sees me across the street from its real victim and has a few seconds, I can see it coming after me, but …really? Me?

             But today, I find myself wondering about the nature of hatred. If love is an unquenchable, self-sacrificing desire for what is in the best interest of the be-loved, is hatred an unquenchable, self-sacrificing desire for what is in the worst interest of the be-hated? I can see how this would lead to the opportunity type of attack. I could see how it could even lead to a dedicated and ongoing series of attacks, if the demon decided I was worth the bother. And I grant that there may be enough devils/demons out there that one from the lowest of ranks might be assigned to me. Poor thing. It probably spends most of its time playing solitaire.

             Today, however, I have to wonder whether I’m misunderstanding hatred when I think that way. The solitaire player is detached, just doing his job. That’s like Sam and Ralph, the cartoon sheepdog and wolf who punch in and out on the time clock, civil co-workers when off the clock. That’s not hatred.

             Hatred is more like pulling the wings from a fly and sewing them back on so they can be pulled off again. And if the wing-pulling isn’t with the hopes of hurting me, there is Another involved. Even if they don’t hate waste time hating me, I may be an opportunity to hurt the One who loves me. Imagine your enemies attacking two people you love. One is a trained soldier, and the other is pathetic – mentally, emotionally, or physically impaired, or a child. Which would cause more pain to the One who loves?

             We all need to take this hatred more seriously. This doesn’t mean that we should be focused on or obsessed with the hatred. Our focus and obsession should be God and His love, but at the same time, we should be aware that those who hate exist, and their hatred is real.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t