Skip to main content

Prophecy

           In those days and at that time I will make a righteous Branch sprout from David’s line; he will do what is just and right in the land.  In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will live in safety. This is the name by which it will be called: The Lord Our Righteous Savior. (Jeremiah 33:15-16)

It is always dangerous to talk about prophecies. Interpretation is fraught with error. This morning, however, the verse of the day was one from later in this chapter – and it has been discussed here too recently to allow a return. This passage caught my eye.

The first issue that must be addressed is the fact that prophecies can be fulfilled, partly fulfilled, or repeatedly fulfilled. The partly fulfilled is one of the problems that the Jews have with Jesus. Because all was not fulfilled, Jesus must not be – at least at that time – the Messiah. They will accept that He is the Messiah when He fulfills prophecy completely, and (in some cases) according to their personal expectations. This isn’t picking on the Jews, really, because we’re all the same way. “It ain’t over ‘til I say it’s over.”

Many people would say that the prophecy in today’s passage hasn’t been fulfilled because Judah and Jerusalem weren’t living in safety during Jesus’ time. Rome ruled Israel, and within 40 years of Jesus’ death and resurrection, the temple was destroyed. So while it might be that Jesus was the righteous Branch that sprouted from David’s line, and that He did right, clearly, this prophecy must refer to a future time, when Jesus will return and reign.

And, I have no doubt that it does refer, ultimately, to that return for which we all wait. But …

You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish.” (John 11:50)

Then the whole assembly rose and led him off to Pilate. And they began to accuse him, saying, “We have found this man subverting our nation. He opposes payment of taxes to Caesar and claims to be Messiah, a king.” (Luke 23:1-2)

Perhaps I’m wrong, but it sounds to me that while the Jews didn’t like the Romans, the leadership of the nation considered the nation was living in safety. It was safe because Rome ruled with an iron fist, but it was relatively safe. This leads me to the conclusion that this prophecy has a double fulfillment, one partial and fulfilled, and the other complete but for which we must still wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...