Skip to main content

Power

               but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and Samaria, and as far as the remotest part of the earth. (Acts 1:8) 

            Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; (Psalm 23:4)

 

            We watched a teaching session by Dallas Willard Sunday morning, and one of the things he said that resonated with me was about power. He talked about what might happen if God gave us the power to raise the dead. He noted that it would likely change our lives. Reporters would come to the door. People who needed to be healed or who had loved ones they wanted raised from the dead would find us. There’s a small part of me that thinks, “Cool!”

            There’s a huge part of me that wants to hide. In fact, when I started writing in 2013, the story I started with was about a young woman who wanted to be invisible. She discovered a performance reading group and discovered that she could be invisible by telling stories. I can’t tell you the number of times I prayed, “Father, do I really have to write my life in this story again and more?” because it seemed to me that so much of the story came out of my life.

            We probably all have this response to power. If we don’t think too much about what goes with the power, it sounds cool, but when we consider all of the things that go along with power – loss of freedom, the demands of needy people, everyone watching to see what you’re going to do next and (in some cases) how they can use it to their advantage. This is part of why I decided to use a pseudonym for my writing. I want to be able to be “invisible,” to just be myself when I want to but at the same time, I want to be able to put on my “author mask” and do something that leads them to the obvious question of “Who was that masked woman?”[1]

            So, it’s the time of year when I once again find myself thinking about where I’m supposed to go, what I’m supposed to do, and the whole Abraham leaving his home and family and going to a place he did not know bit. Am I willing to go to power? Am I willing to become powerful on God’s terms, not mine – and not “theirs”? Am I willing to do the things I don’t want to do, believing that I will be given blessings as a result?

            Some people would say, “Heck yeah!” Some might make it more emphatic. But my hands are over my face. I don’t know. Ultimately, I’m going to go if that’s where He leads. He hasn’t let me wrong yet. But it’s as much a valley of the shadow of death as any other challenge.



[1] A Lone Ranger allusion, for those who are too young.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...