Skip to main content

Black or Blue?

            Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble. Psalm 119:165

                A good thing about working in the men’s department of a certain store was that I got to work with color. One of the challenges that my customers and I sometimes had was distinguishing between dark blue and black. Fortunately, the store’s colors were black, khaki, and white. I almost always wore black slacks, and often a black top, so I would take the garment of uncertain color and lay it across my black clothing. Granted the shade of black or blue in the material might not be the right shade for the item they already have at home, but at least it was closer.

                The Law is my black pants or shirt. Putting something up against it lets a person identify whether the thing is this, or that. There are lots of very specific examples that we no longer need, but those fit into greater principles that give the fabric of our lives their color. Of course, the color found in the Bible isn’t the only color out there. One could choose to wear burgundy, which has its own set of difficulties, sometimes worse than black or blue. One would hope that the burgundy one has as an example is a good, solid burgundy.

                The problem is that we don’t want to have our clothes match the black, blue, or burgundy standards. We want this bit of black, another bit of blue, some burgundy over there, and the whole box of 500 Crayola colors mixed in. And that might be acceptable, if certain areas were certain colors, so that you could test a garment against it. But when you mix too many colors together, what you get is something rather muddy and indifferent.

                To use a different metaphor, too many cooks spoil the broth, or stuffing.

You can’t get good directions to a destination if you don’t know the destination or if “any destination will do.”   And it might not be a good idea to get directions to a destination half way across the country from someone who’s never left the town you’re in.

Picking a set of principles is vital to life. Picking the right set of principles is more so. The clearer the color of those principles, the easier it is to know if what you’re doing is of the same color. That brings peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...