Skip to main content

The Gifts (AKA Fruit)

             But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23)

                “‘When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Leave them for the poor and for the foreigner residing among you. I am the Lord your God.’” (Leviticus 23:22)

                Jumping from the idea of gifts to that of fruits. As a gardener, I tend to think a little selfishly about fruit. I want my crops for my use. I’m not trying to be mean, I’m just not experienced enough to know how much is enough for me. I have told my north neighbors that anything that grows through the fence is fair picking for them, but not a lot is growing through the fence. But as I think about the passage from Galatians, I wonder how much I tend to think that the fruit of the Spirit is for my benefit. Do I have the same anxiety about harvesting love for my use as I do my tomatoes?

                That sounds more than a little strange, but our society seems to be using that thinking. We have to love ourselves, protect our peace, demand that others control themselves for our comfort and to avoid offending us, etc. In the second passage above, the Law lays out our harvesting process. We’re to leave gleanings of our harvest for the poor and the foreigner. That means that whatever love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control we harvest for our own benefit within our lives, we are to leave some for those who aren’t ours and who lack. And the point was that the edges of the field were to be left for them, so they didn’t have to work the whole field. That means that no matter how good the fruit along the edge was, or how bad the rest of the field was, you left it. You left some good stuff behind. On purpose. In fact, you probably shouldn’t even bother to look at anything closer to the edge than X feet (your choice, but don’t look!)

                How do we do that with the fruit of the Spirit? How do you leave your love around for someone else to pick? Part of the problem is that the fruit of the Spirit isn’t so much like a fruit as it is like a skill. It’s something you do that nourishes and helps others like fruit would, and it can involve the physical, but it’s not physical itself. To give love or any of the others involves you: your heart/will, mind/thoughts/feelings, body, relationships, and spirit. You become the plant, so to speak. The fruit comes from you.

                So, the idea for contemplation and consideration is, how can you allow others to “pick” love from you? Joy? Peace? Any of the others? Let’s take it a notch up the ladder. How can you nourish their love, joy, peace, etc.? It’s partly what they get from you. It plants seeds in them. But that’s not metaphysical blather. It’s demonstrating or teaching them. You nourish them with the fruit, not according to your choices and preferences, but according to whatever they choose to glean. And until you get used to doing it, you’re probably going to be anxious about not having enough “tomatoes” left for yourself. That’s OK. Learn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...