We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully. (Romans 12:6-8)
Let’s begin with a deep breath.
Release it. There is no reason to believe that this list of gifts is complete.
If you lack these particular skills, you’re not giftless. If you’re not the
greatest in the world at something, you’re not giftless. Even if you’re sure
you’re a nobody, that doesn’t mean you are a nobody (or that a nobody is what
you think it is.) If you think you may as well stay home because no one is
going to like you and you’ll have nothing to contribute, that doesn’t mean that
any of that is true.
I’ve written before about our
thinking our gifts need to be dramatic and impressive. That point having been
mentioned again, today’s thought is about gifts as things that bring people together
and form communities. Today’s verse has some big, impressive gifts. If your
gift if prophesying, or teaching, or leading, then do those things. If your gift
is encouraging, giving, serving, or showing mercy, then do those.
Some would say that skill level
is the key. After all, we’re talking about using gifts. It’s helpful, but using
our gifts really comes down to three factors. First, God. He can make much of
what we think is little and give us wisdom. Second, love because without it, gifts
are nothing.
If I speak in the tongues of
men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a
clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all
mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move
mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I
possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but
do not have love, I gain nothing. (I Corinthians 13:1-3)
Third, a need. If there is already a leader, stepping in to take
the lead isn’t using your gift well. It’s probably stepping on toes. It’s good
to build skills when possible, but these three are non-negotiables.
Comments
Post a Comment