Skip to main content

Victories

                 The king rejoices in your strength, Lord. How great is his joy in the victories you give! (Psalm 21:1)

                The first thing that comes to mind as I read Psalm 21 is that God doesn’t give me victories. He doesn’t display His strength to me or on my behalf. Oh, of course, there was Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection. Yes, that counts, but you know what I mean. Ultimate victory doesn’t change the lack of present victory. It doesn’t make me feel victorious, at least not yet. I suspect there are at least times when you feel the same way.

                But, I’ll admit that I tend to have dramatic expectations of victory. I want the explosion of the shark or the Death Star. I want my enemies destroyed or humiliated. I want walk down the aisle between respectful followers, ascend the platform, and have everyone cheer (especially Chewbacca!) Or, given my preference for being invisible, I want to hear people to whisper, “Who was that masked man?” Yes, I know, I’m mixing shows, but that’s why I say, “dramatic expectations.”

                Invisible victories. Do you know how hard it is to be invisible? Of course, you can withdraw into your lair and never emerge. That makes you invisible but denies you the victories. You can skulk about after dark. That might work better. But, of course, we aren’t really invisible and eventually, someone finds out. But imagine if you were invisible. If someone saw litter rising from the road and disappearing (into a bag that is conveniently also invisible), they’d catch on. What if, instead, you were able to get someone else to pick up the litter, possibly without their even realizing they were being trained? Wouldn’t that be a victory? And, apropos of this verse, wouldn’t it be a victory for the person taught to help? Let me put it another way. If you child or grandchild finally starts cleaning up his/her room on his/her own, haven’t you won a victory?

                I once did a talk about collections (sword and letter opener) and life. I noted that there aren’t many opportunities to use swords, they cost a lot, and they take up a lot of room. A hundred letter openers fit in a space where one decent sword could be displayed, with room to spare.  Victories are the same way. We want the sword, but a hundred letter openers is actually the more impressive collection. We may be impressed with the one big victory, but if it’s alone, it’s not a collection. The smaller victories we might not even notice are far more impressive, if we stop to consider them. And God gives both kinds.

                Let me end by quoting Abraham Lincoln – not Scripture, but wise:

“The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...