For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10)
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands
is not quickly broken. (Ecclesiastes 4:12)
And let us consider how we
may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting
together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and
all the more as you see the Day approaching. (Hebrews 10:24-25) (Yes,
again.)
We’re back to the
individual/collective bit, and once again, we is both. You and I are
God’s handiwork, but like blue and yellow, like two bricks. We each do a
job. Together, we are God’s handiwork as well. We make green and part of the temple wall. This is one of those cases in which I must say that God works in mysterious ways, because I’m more of an individualist. I may be able to
see how your are God’s handiwork. I can sometimes see how I am God’s handiwork,
but it’s very rare that I see how you and I are His handiwork. That doesn’t mean
it’s not true.
As the additional verses above
point out, sometimes our handiwork is strengthening, spurring on, or
encouraging the other. Sometimes, one of us brings a skill or a piece of
information that another lacks. In other words, our weaknesses are an
opportunity for someone else to love and bless us, as long as they are genuine and not excessive. Sometimes, we spur one another on toward
the truth by pointing out error; sometimes, it's by being there, or dropping off something that's needed, or helping out. And all of that is done in prayer, with prayer, and through prayer.
Comments
Post a Comment