Skip to main content

Confess Your Sins


                If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives. My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world. (I John 1:8-2:2) 

          Sin is a “four-letter word. In fact, you can use variations on lots of four-letter words and people won’t blink an eye, but say that something is a sin, or that someone has sinned, and you’ve committed an unforgivable sin, unless the sin of which you’re accusing them involves obvious harm to someone (pedophiles, animal abusers, child abusers, rapists, mass shooters… OK those are sinners.) Anything less is too trivial to be considered, or the person’s good deeds will balance their karma… except that karma is not a Biblical concept.
         There is something empowering about admitting the truth. Perhaps that’s why admitting that one is a(n) ___________ and powerless against __________ is the first step in Twelve Step programs. I discovered this secret outside of such a program, years ago when I lost a lot of weight that I have since regained. I discovered that when I admitted that I was fat, it freed me to work on the problem. Unfortunately, I’m fat again, and now I’m older so my body isn’t coping as well as it did before. 
         Self-deception is so easy. For a long time, it seemed like I could eat that little bit extra, until it caught up with me. Oh well, that’s OK, it’s just a little weight. My job changed, my dog got older, I got older, my activity level decreased, I got bored and put food in my mouth as the solution. None of it is my fault, or, I’ll do better tomorrow, or some other such nonsense. Self-deception separates us from reality, and us from ourselves.
         And it never stays there. Sin, in general, separates. I no longer want to go places because people will see the results of my sin. Please don’t try to convince me it doesn’t matter -  I’m not telling you this because I want sympathy, or even commiseration. I’m saying it because it illustrates truth. When we refuse to acknowledge our sin, or refuse to recognize the gravity of it, we then have to tell ourselves other lies, and others still more lies. It doesn’t lie dormant. It grows.  When we expect the universe to change, to accommodate our sins, we grow weaker. Your sin may not involve food, but it’s there.
         One last thing. Confession isn’t about Truth or Dare type secrets. Confession isn’t saying, “Yeah, I do that, but it doesn’t matter,” or, “I was born this way.” Confession means to agree with someone that these things are as bad as they are, and that we are as helpless as we are, and that we are sinners – and understanding the gravity of that statement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Hearts

                    Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it . (Proverbs 4:23) The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9) “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. (Matthew 23:27)           We all like to see ourselves as pretty good folks. We’re not perfect. We may even admit that we are sinners saved by grace, but we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. Some of us alternate this view with the conviction that we are miserable, worthless worms who can’t do anything right, but at least we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. You can add whatever horrible thing that you don’t do to the list. It always proves that we aren’t as bad as we could be.  At the very least, our int