Skip to main content

The Man Who Has Dared To Do Such A Thing

          So the king and Haman went to Queen Esther’s banquet, and as they were drinking wine on the second day, the king again asked, “Queen Esther, what is your petition? It will be given you. What is your request? Even up to half the kingdom, it will be granted.”
           Then Queen Esther answered, “If I have found favor with you, Your Majesty, and if it pleases you, grant me my life—this is my petition. And spare my people—this is my request.  For I and my people have been sold to be destroyed, killed and annihilated. If we had merely been sold as male and female slaves, I would have kept quiet, because no such distress would justify disturbing the king.
                     King Xerxes asked Queen Esther, “Who is he? Where is he—the man who has dared to do such a thing?”
                       Esther said, “An adversary and enemy! This vile Haman!
            Then Haman was terrified before the king and queen. The king got up in a rage, left his wine and went out into the palace garden. But Haman, realizing that the king had already decided his fate, stayed behind to beg Queen Esther for his life.

               While Haman is reeling from the blow of having to honor Mordecai as he wanted to be honored. The passage yesterday didn’t tell how long the horse ride took, or for how long Mordecai bewailed his fate to his wife and friends, but in the midst of the latter, the king’s “limo” arrived to take him to dinner with the king and Queen Esther. It was a command performance. I imagine he did the fastest makeover in history, composing himself to keep up the necessary appearances with the king.
                Did they meander through the meal? It probably took quite a while. Esther would have spared no expense. Did Haman find solace in the honor the queen was giving him? Was he lulled into thinking that maybe things weren’t quite so bad? After all, before long, Mordecai and all his people would be killed. It was a temporary setback, that’s all. If someone else killed Mordecai, well, at least he’d be dead.
               Then the king asked Esther what she wanted. Whatever it was, she would have it, even up to half the kingdom. Esther finally makes her request. She wants to live! And, yes, she wants her people to live. She would not have disturbed the king for any request less than that, she says.
            “Who would do such a thing?!”
               And here, Esther tells a half-truth. Oh yes, “This vile Haman!” The truth is, “You, King Xerxes, at vile Haman’s request.” How soon did Xerxes realize his part? I don’t know. If not already, then soon. Haman cannot be excused because the king agreed to make his plan law. Neither can Xerxes be excused. Flip Wilson used to say, “The devil made me do it.” And we all laughed. Oh, the devil is real, and he does tempt. He is a Haman. Our body’s desires (whether for food, alcohol, other drugs, sex, violence or something else) may urge us to act. They are Haman.  Our friends may advise us. They may be Haman. No matter what the Haman is, we are Xerxes. Sometimes we are Esther. Sometimes someone else is Esther.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Hearts

                    Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it . (Proverbs 4:23) The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9) “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. (Matthew 23:27)           We all like to see ourselves as pretty good folks. We’re not perfect. We may even admit that we are sinners saved by grace, but we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. Some of us alternate this view with the conviction that we are miserable, worthless worms who can’t do anything right, but at least we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. You can add whatever horrible thing that you don’t do to the list. It always proves that we aren’t as bad as we could be.  At the very least, our int