Skip to main content

For Such A Time As This


          Hathach went back and reported to Esther what Mordecai had said. Then she instructed him to say to Mordecai, “All the king’s officials and the people of the royal provinces know that for any man or woman who approaches the king in the inner court without being summoned the king has but one law: that he be put to death. The only exception to this is for the king to extend the gold scepter to him and spare his life. But thirty days have passed since I was called to go to the king.” 
          When Esther’s words were reported to Mordecai, he sent back this answer: “Do not think that because you are in the king’s house you alone of all the Jews will escape. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?” 
                Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.” 
          So Mordecai went away and carried out all of Esther’s instructions. (Esther 4:9-17


          Imagine, one of your employees scurrying in to tell you, “That guy, Mordecai? He’s out there in sack cloth!” You send out clothing and a request to know what’s wrong, and in the game of telephone, you’re informed that the king has issued an edict ordering the slaughter of all Jews and the confiscation of their property. You are told that you have to do something. 
          Here’s the problem. Yes, you’re the queen, but your husband hasn’t called for you in 30 days. We already know that if you don’t show up when you are called, you lose your happy home, but the law states that if you do show up when you haven’t been called, you lose your life. Sometimes it seems as if everyone looks down on Esther because “…who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?” Come on, Esther, woman up! 
          We’re told “The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing.”[1] But we stand in Esther’s shoes today. We are not invited to appear, to speak, to give an opinion. Our opinion is no more necessary to society than the opinion of a woman in ancient Persia. It doesn’t matter that she was the queen. It doesn’t matter who we are, “religion has no place in the public square, or in the courts. By default, if your cause is religious, you are either declared guilty or thrown out and pilloried on The View and on those other great opinion programs known as the news. The only way we survive is if someone holds out a scepter, and what’s the chance of that. 
          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing is at least partly true, but it’s not like the thing necessary for the defeat of evil is that good men show up, raise their hand, speak up… The thing necessary for the defeat of evil is often a long, hard battle in which no one is spared. It is often years spent being abused (whether while free or in jail) and the death or destruction of your life, your family and everything else you hold dear. 
          But…who knows but that you have come to [your] position for such a time as this?



[1] Attributed to a number of writers and speakers including Edmund Burke, John Stuart Mills, and Charles F. Aked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Hearts

                    Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it . (Proverbs 4:23) The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9) “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. (Matthew 23:27)           We all like to see ourselves as pretty good folks. We’re not perfect. We may even admit that we are sinners saved by grace, but we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. Some of us alternate this view with the conviction that we are miserable, worthless worms who can’t do anything right, but at least we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. You can add whatever horrible thing that you don’t do to the list. It always proves that we aren’t as bad as we could be.  At the very least, our int