Skip to main content

Haman Is Alive And Well


                 After these events, King Xerxes honored Haman son of Hammedatha, the Agagite, elevating him and giving him a seat of honor higher than that of all the other nobles. All the royal officials at the king’s gate knelt down and paid honor to Haman, for the king had commanded this concerning him. But Mordecai would not kneel down or pay him honor. Then the royal officials at the king’s gate asked Mordecai, “Why do you disobey the king’s command?” Day after day they spoke to him but he refused to comply. Therefore they told Haman about it to see whether Mordecai’s behavior would be tolerated, for he had told them he was a Jew. When Haman saw that Mordecai would not kneel down or pay him honor, he was enraged.  (Esther 3:1-5) 

            Time passes. Suddenly, as most things Xerxes does in this story seem to happen suddenly, Xerxes decides that Haman the Agagite is his main man. According to Jewish tradition, Haman was the descendant of the Amalekite king, Agag, one of Israel’s enemies during the time of Saul. That enmity was just a continuation of the struggle between Israel and Amalek going back to the time of Joshua (at least.)
            Xerxes had commanded that all people should bow down to Haman and he was enjoying his time in the sun tremendously, until officials at the king’s gate reported that there was one guy who wasn’t with the program. My first question: Why was it necessary for Haman to be informed? Didn’t he see this infringement himself? Second question: why did the officials report it? Could it be as revenge for Mordecai turning the would-be assassins in? Eventually, he saw for himself that Mordecai could not be intimidated, He was enraged. Not just angry – think road rage.
            I don’t have answers. What I do have is yet another timely parallel. The officials of the land have declared, this group of people is to be granted the status they have coveted. When we, the people of the land, encounter them, the government has decreed that we bow down to their wishes with regard to treatment of them. There have been more than one of these groups, but the response is the same. When a group of people refuses to bow, when one says, “I’m sorry, I can’t bake that cake” or take the photographs, or perform the ceremony, or host the ceremony, or whatever form the not bowing down takes, the group denied the honor from that one person, or that group is enraged.
            Sadly, Haman is alive and well and living in the United States, and while I may not yet be Mordecai, I stand with those who are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Hearts

                    Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it . (Proverbs 4:23) The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9) “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. (Matthew 23:27)           We all like to see ourselves as pretty good folks. We’re not perfect. We may even admit that we are sinners saved by grace, but we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. Some of us alternate this view with the conviction that we are miserable, worthless worms who can’t do anything right, but at least we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. You can add whatever horrible thing that you don’t do to the list. It always proves that we aren’t as bad as we could be.  At the very least, our int