Skip to main content

You Have Overcome


                 I write to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name. I write to you, fathers, because you have known him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, dear children, because you have known the Father. I write to you, fathers, because you have known him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one.  (I John 2:12-14)
 
          Years ago, I read a science fiction story written from a Christian perspective. The only other thing I remember about the story is that I didn’t like the ending because the hero died without accomplishing whatever it was he was supposed to accomplish, but he was welcomed into heaven as a hero – not because he was martyred, but because he was faithful. I’ve grown up a lot since then, but I have to admit, I have some problems with seeing myself, or anyone else, as strong or victorious, or as having overcome the evil one. I tend to equate victory and overcoming with destroying the enemy, with saving the world. Yu now, the sort of thing you see on TV.
         I’ve written a little about this before. We think that the penitent vampire, who wants to be a good person. He gets into a battle with another undead or demonic something and he loses horribly until… he releases the vampire within himself and wipes up the floor with the foe of the week. And we all cheer, or breathe a sigh of relief because once again, Good has prevailed, and the world is safe for another seven days.  But has Good prevailed? Can Good ever prevail if the means of achieving it is evil?
          I’m not going to claim that good people should stand by and watch evil occur. I’m not saying that a sniper who has a chance to take out a mass murderer should not do so because doing so requires that he kill a person. I’m just saying we need to think about these things, and consider whether doing that is enough. What if overcoming evil takes more than that? What if it takes being good ourselves? Not just a little bit good, but one hundred percent good?  What if it takes taking all that evil can dish out without stooping to evil in our response?
          These are important considerations, because if we’re going about it all wrong, we can not hope to overcome.
         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Hearts

                    Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it . (Proverbs 4:23) The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9) “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. (Matthew 23:27)           We all like to see ourselves as pretty good folks. We’re not perfect. We may even admit that we are sinners saved by grace, but we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. Some of us alternate this view with the conviction that we are miserable, worthless worms who can’t do anything right, but at least we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. You can add whatever horrible thing that you don’t do to the list. It always proves that we aren’t as bad as we could be.  At the very least, our int