Skip to main content

What Do You Think You Can Take With You?


                Before a girl’s turn came to go in to King Xerxes, she had to complete twelve months of beauty treatments prescribed for the women, six months with oil of myrrh and six with perfumes and cosmetics. And this is how she would go to the king: Anything she wanted was given her to take with her from the harem to the king’s palace. In the evening she would go there and in the morning return to another part of the harem to the care of Shaashgaz, the king’s eunuch who was in charge of the concubines. She would not return to the king unless he was pleased with her and summoned her by name. 
          When the turn came for Esther (the girl Mordecai had adopted, the daughter of his uncle Abihail ) to go to the king, she asked for nothing other than what Hegai, the king’s eunuch who was in charge of the harem, suggested. And Esther won the favor of everyone who saw her. She was taken to King Xerxes in the royal residence in the tenth month, the month of Tebeth, in the seventh year of his reign. Now the king was attracted to Esther more than to any of the other women, and she won his favor and approval more than any of the other virgins. So he set a royal crown on her head and made her queen instead of Vashti. And the king gave a great banquet, Esther’s banquet, for all his nobles and officials. He proclaimed a holiday throughout the provinces and distributed gifts with royal liberality. (Esther 2:12-18)
 

          After spending six months being soaked in oil, and six months being taught how to look and smell good and having everything you needed (except freedom) provided by the king, the girls were permitted to take whatever they wanted with them when they went to the king’s palace. Different time, difference culture. I wonder what the options really were and whether that was part of the test. The whole purpose of their being there was to please the king, so if a girl took things to please herself, did that show she wasn’t doing her job? Looking at it from the girl’s perspective, a year earlier, she had lost everything to be taken into the harem. I can understand why it might be hard to part with everything again. Keep in mind, however, that when she’d had her night with the king, she was taken to another harem, where her needs would once again be provided. 
         Whether from her own wisdom or because Mordecai told her, Esther went with only what Hegai suggested. Drum roll please. Yes, we all know the story. She won. Did you notice the date? I had to go back to look. The six-month banquet at which Queen Vashti said, “Uh, no, I don’t think so!” took place in the third year of Xerxes’ reign. Esther was taken to the king in the tenth month of the seventh year of his reign. This travesty took four years to plan and implement. We don’t know where she was in his year-long list (perhaps more than year-long). Was there more than one round? Did girls given three stars and up get a second round of inspection? We aren’t told how it worked, just that she won. 
          I have to wonder how she felt. “Esther, you won!”
          “Great, that means it’s likely that I’m going to have to spend more nights entertaining the ham-handed lout.” Or… “Great, think of what I can do for my people if I work it right.” Or… “Great, because I really liked him.” Again, we don’t know.
          I can’t help but think about a spiritual parallel. Oil is used as a symbol of the Holy Spirit. As we go through our lives, we spend a lot of time facing difficulties that either produce beauty or ugliness in our lives. For those who are Christians (according to Scripture), God applies the Holy Spirit, and ultimately, that is the only thing we need when we stand before the Lord for our “one night” of judgment. Those who please Him are taken to a place where we may encounter Him again, often. Those who don’t please Him are sent to a part of the harem from which they are never called again. 
          Could the chief eunuch, Hegai represent religion? He could produce no life of his own, he can only advise those entrusted to him on how to please the king. “What does it profit a man to gain the whole world, but lose his soul?” What does it profit to take all your toys and trinkets with you when you leave this world, and end up sent off where you’ll never see the king again?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Hearts

                    Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it . (Proverbs 4:23) The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9) “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. (Matthew 23:27)           We all like to see ourselves as pretty good folks. We’re not perfect. We may even admit that we are sinners saved by grace, but we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. Some of us alternate this view with the conviction that we are miserable, worthless worms who can’t do anything right, but at least we’re not murderers, rapists, or abusers of children, women, or animals. You can add whatever horrible thing that you don’t do to the list. It always proves that we aren’t as bad as we could be.  At the very least, our int