Skip to main content

Beginnings


          Thus says the Lord, Who makes a way through the sea and a path through the mighty waters, “Do not call to mind the former things, Or ponder things of the past. “Behold, I will do something new, Now it will spring forth; Will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, Rivers in the desert. (Isaiah 43:16)

          Yesterday, I addressed the issue of to whom a promise was given. That’s an issue today, too. This admonition was given to the Jews, and I believe Jesus fulfilled it. In Christ’s fulfillment of it, He expanded the scope to all of humanity. It’s done. The new something is completed. If I promise to pay you to do something, once I’ve paid you, my obligation to you is ended. God isn’t required to do anything beyond what He has done. He’s not required to do anything else new. We can’t hold the promise of today’s passage over God’s head like the sword of Damocles.
          In spite of all that, I’m sharing this passage because there’s value there. The Lord is still God. The passage doesn’t say “… the Lord, who made a way through the sea….” It’s in the present tense. God didn’t change after He made this promise. He didn’t change after He fulfilled it. He’s the same God, will He not behave as He has behaved? Should we not behave as He has instructed in the past until or unless He gives us clear direction otherwise?
          Today’s passage may not be a specific promise to us, but God is still God and God is still good. There is wisdom in what He says here. As we reach the end of 2019, we needed to look back and learn the lessons of the year and the decade. As we move into 2020, however; we need to stop calling to mind the former things and stop pondering the things of the past. Those things are done. It’s time to stop circling the mountain in the wilderness and move into the Promised Land.
          This is scary territory. Dare we actually hope about the future? For some, that might be easy. I tend to overthink the past, and the present, and the future, and the past … What’s more, I tend to cringe about the future. There are too many chances to go in the wrong direction, to make the wrong choices. There have been a lot of endings this past year, and today feels like an ending of endings. Yes, tomorrow will be just the day after today, but I’m taking some big steps into some big new territory.
One of those big steps is the issue of today’s passage. Dare I stop calling to mind the former things and former errors? Dare I  stop pondering the past? Perhaps more important than those two questions is this one: dare I stop beating myself up for my past? Dare I look toward the future with hope? If I were talking to someone else, I’d say “Of course, you can and should dare to do these things!” It may be a sign of courage that I am daring to ask if I dare? It’s a bigger sign of courage that I am – or I think I am – daring to hope.
          I agree with those who are saying that they hope 2020 is a year of clearer vision. But 2020 looks like it’s also going to be a bigger new beginning that I have faced in a long time. I dare you to dare to step into this new year with courage and hope, and I pray for your new beginnings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t