Skip to main content

Rock And Fortress


Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me. (Psalm 31:3) 

          Over the past week, something happened that led me to believe that God was telling me to get a move on, and I jumped… in the wrong direction. That leads me to feel like a fool, to be hurt (by my own hand), and to feel vulnerable and afraid. I can’t say that I’m responding the way I’d like to. Unless someone else complicates things, all that is left is to resolve things with that someone. That probably won’t be pleasant – that someone is likely to be angry and disappointed, and I can’t blame that person. They thought they were rid of a problem, and I’m giving it back. The problem for me is that I don’t see nobility, peace, faith, hope, or love in what I’m doing, but I’m not a good judge when it comes to myself.
             I’m not sharing this for any commiserating assurances of “There, there, it will be all right.” One way or another, it will be all right. That doesn’t really change the recent past or the present. I’ve learned at least one important lesson, but there are lessons I’m learning that I need to be careful about. They are wrong directions, too. So, as usual, my prayer request is wisdom, direction, and attitude. All three are critical.
And all three are found in today’s passage. The wisdom and attitude are found in the assertion that God is my rock and fortress, and in the reason: “for the sake of Your name.” What does all that mean, though? A rock and a fortress don’t mean we won’t be attacked, or that the flood-waters won’t rise. We wouldn’t need fortresses or rocks if those things didn’t happen. The big question is whether God’s rescue of me from my circumstances is for the sake of His name. Most of the time, I suspect that there’s at least a measure of “for the sake of my comfort” in there. If God is my rock and fortress, I don’t need to feel afraid. I’d like to think that the way I’ve been able (so far) to extricate myself from my error is God’s intervention.
          The direction part is found in the plea for God to guide. All I have left is dealing with the other person/people involved, and people are always the problem. I feel rescued and protected but… paragraph one, too. And – having just spoken with the person involved, I’m in tears again at God’s intervention. I expected drama. I got none. Now, I’m back to square one with the problem that led to my bad choice.
          I don’t know how any of this involves for the sake of His name. It seems too mundane to me, but that’s another of the point. For the sake of His name may not have to do with what makes Him look all polished, detached, superior, and regal. It may have to do with his being the kind of God who cares for people who make stupid mistakes, and who don’t handle them as well as we think we should, who is willing to reach into the pool of diarrhea in which we’re wallowing, drag us out again, and clean us up again.
          Some time ago, I reached the conclusion that self-control was learning to deal with our own dirty diapers, and I think that’s true, but I think that sometimes, the way we have to deal with them is to turn to our Father.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t