Skip to main content

Vision


        Where there is no vision, the people are unrestrained, but happy is he who keeps the law. (Proverbs 29:18)

            I have to return to the third passage in yesterday’s list. It might not be quite as much a favorite now as it was, but it’s still high on the list. If you’re not told that something is wrong, you can’t turn away from it. If you’re not told that something is right, you can’t turn toward it. If you don’t have at least some ideas about how to get somewhere (a map, a GPS, directions, landmarks…something….) you’re not likely to get there. If you don’t know what something looks like, you can’t make something that looks like it.
          Years ago as I considered the idea of a personal mission statement, one thing I learned was that one’s mission can be found by asking what it is you can’t not do. When I read Dallas Willard’s works, one of the keys he returned to was the idea of becoming the kind of person who did things naturally – even unconsciously. At other times, as I talked to people about doing God’s will, I advised them to do what they said, “Somebody needs to…” and to do the obvious. I have a friend who has come to understand the lesson of the “Good Samaritan” as meaning that one’s neighbor is the person one trips over as one goes through a day.
           Return to your top five, or top three, or top one area(s) of focus for 2020. What will these look like in your life? Keeping with the idea of starting small, what one little thing can you do on a daily basis for each of them? What habits can you build (or rebuild) to make them a part of your life?
           My top five for 2020 are love, faithfulness, the Word of God, prayer, and self-control. What do these look like in my life? One idea that comes to mind is that one key is the encouragement of things that come “naturally.” I’ve tended to think that my love language is “Words of Affirmation” but while words are my thing, I tend to be critical. However, it’s almost second nature to pick up trash, put people’s newspapers at their doorsteps, to see how many boxes of food I can get on the shelves at a food pantry, or to plant a garden in hopes of being able to supply myself and my neighbors with herbs. Those are all acts of service, to which I say, “Hmmmmmm.”
           Prayer is an easy one. I used to pray for each household in the park as I passed it, and for folks back home between. That got lost. I want it back. The Word of God is also easy. I want to memorize and meditate on my favorite verses, even if I don’t realize they’re favorites yet. Have you noticed yet? Much of what I’m talking about does double duty. Praying for folks is loving them, and prayer. Memorizing and meditating not only are the Word of God but faithfulness and self-control.
          So here’s my parting thought for the day. There is nothing you can do toward the betterment of your character (toward being a better person) that will not bring about progress in other areas as well.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t