Skip to main content

Rescue From Our Enemies


         Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, because he has come to his people and redeemed them. He has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant, (as he said through his holy prophets of long ago), salvation from  our enemies and from the hand of all who hate us, has raised up a horn  - to show mercy to our ancestors and to remember his holy covenant,  the oath he swore to our father Abraham: to rescue us from the hand of our enemies, and to enable us to serve him without fear in holiness and righteousness before him all of our days.   (Luke 1:68-75)

          Today, we look at a song sung by a priest named Zachariah and return to the theme of redemption. Concepts he links with that idea include salvation, showing mercy, and remembrance of a covenant or promise. The result of these things would be both rescues from enemies, and enablement to serve without fear.
          Rescue from our enemies can take at least a couple forms. Our enemies can be removed (sent somewhere else or destroyed.) They can also, as Abraham Lincoln pointed out, changed into friends. Or, we can be made strong enough that they no longer concern us. I tend to think in terms of the first, like most people. But it’s not the only option, and I suspect the best option is to convert them to friends. Sigh, if only they were dogs instead of people! Part of the process in all three, however, is for us to forgive them.
          Being able to serve without fear is another challenge – more difficult than we want it to be. We tend to want to serve ourselves, but let me tell you, I’m not even very good at that. I mean, if I were going to serve myself, then I would do things that are good for me faithfully instead of going off on a whim and a tear. I wouldn’t shoot myself in the foot repeatedly with different “guns.”
           Some people object to the idea of serving, but research has shown that serving one another is good for us.[1] Assuming that the volunteer is actually doing something they believe helps someone else, serving someone else reduces stress and improves mood. Instead of being reluctant, we should crave opportunities to serve in a way that allows us to give of our best, not just to shuffle along.
            But the issue isn't really serving, it's serving without fear, in holiness and righteousness. In the writing world, there are people who offer services as "sensitivity readers." They examine a person's writing to make sure that the author's treatment of one or more groups or subjects is handled in a way that is both (from their perspective) accurately and inoffensively. In other words, sensitively. And, of course, pleasing one doesn't mean one has pleased them all. You can even offend a sensitivity reader by not including their preferred sort of characters. There are writers who seem to have a checklist of all the sorts of characters and situations they are required to include in order to be "sensitive." The story doesn't matter in the slightest as long as the checklist is complete.
          This is the dilemma we all face. In the ancient world, some groups believed in pantheons of gods, who were something like sensitivity readers. If you did something to win the approval of one, you might earn the enmity of another. Even with some monotheistic faiths, the average worshipper doesn't know whether he/she has done enough to earn his/her deity's approval. Service must be with fear - not the reverential fear of God, but with the fear of that god's ultimate disapproval when you thought you'd done as well as you could. God had removed the need for that fear. We can serve, knowing that even though our service isn't perfect, Jesus has done what was necessary so that we are accepted. When we remember this, it is freeing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t