Skip to main content

This Is The Way


Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” (Isaiah 30:21)

           Having closed the books on one year, it’s time to prepare the books for the next year. How can we prepare when we don’t know what next year will bring? Since I’m more of a nose to the grindstone type than an “I’m going on an adventure” type, I understand. This is part of the reason behind “Wisdom, Direction, and Attitude.” And God keeps insisting that I carry my grindstone with me on an adventure (even if it never leaves my home.)
          We know who the passage is talking to: it’s talking to you, and therefore also to me. We tend to like to think of new years in terms of what, where, and when. Aren’t those the questions answered by “This is the way; walk in it”?
           How are we to walk in God’s will if we don’t know what that will is? Or where it is? Or when we’re supposed to turn in what direction? How can we walk in God’s will when we can’t tell the difference between the voice of the Spirit and the voice of the flesh? How can we open the books in 2020 when we don’t know the what, where, or when of God’s will?
          The solution may be to look at “the way” in which we’re to walk from a different perspective. Instead of answering the questions of what, when, and where; what if “This is the way; walk in it” is describing the how? Or the why?
          My thoughts return to the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. The armor of God also comes to mind: truth, righteousness, salvation, preparation of the gospel of peace, the Word of God, and prayer. What if these are the way in which we should walk in this coming year? What if all the externals that come to as we open next year’s books are secondary effects of the more important spiritual growth?
          This concept leads us to a more difficult question. We’re all used to new year’s resolutions about losing weight, finding a better job, etc., but what resolutions do you make when you’re choosing from characteristics like the ones in the previous paragraph? What would your top five be? Your top three? Your number one? Which do you need the most work on?
          My top five are love, faithfulness, the Word of God, prayer, and self-control. My top three are love, the Word of God, and prayer. My number one is love. Wisdom, direction, and attitude will all be needed in abundance, but if, in this next year, I could learn to love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, to love my neighbor as myself, and to love myself properly, it would be the best year of my life so far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...