Skip to main content

Have You Come To Destroy Us?


          Just then a man in their synagogue who was possessed by an impure spirit cried out, “What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!”
          “Be quiet!” said Jesus sternly. “Come out of him!” (Mark 1:23-25)

          As we look back through 2000 and more years at 66 documents written by 35-40 authors who lived on three continents and in a variety of cultures, it’s understandable that we struggle to understand some of what is said. Since God is the main focus of much of the writing, it’s not surprising that we would not understand. It makes sense that the people living when Jesus walked the Earth didn’t understand.
          But impure spirits, demons, devils, and angels? It feels a little strange to say that they didn’t get it either. I think I tend to think of them as being almost omniscient. The reality is that they know what they know through the same sources that we do: through revelation and through experience. If God didn’t sit down with them and explain all His plans and purposes, they are left with guesses, and those would be in line with their own natures. It’s impossible to know how long before the creation of the universe God created angels, or how long after that passed before Lucifer and his followers rebelled, or the effect that their rebellion had on them. Did this impure spirit accurately remember Heaven? It’s impossible to say. Was his memory adorned with his hatred? Undoubtedly.
          All this means that it’s possible that it truly thought that Jesus had come to destroy it. It’s also possible that this question was propaganda, a way of suggesting to the people witnessing the scene that God is a hateful being who enjoys torturing and destroying those who disobey. That would make the impure spirit’s rebellion seem noble.
          I tend to think that its question is malicious. It seems to me that when Jesus is asked a question by someone who actually wants an answer, He answers. It may not be the answer the person sought, but it’s an answer. When Jesus is asked a question by someone using the question as a trap or a challenge to His authority, He doesn’t tend to answer. At least, He doesn’t answer with the sort of answer that provides the information sought. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that this impure spirit isn’t seeking information.
          And what is Jesus’ answer? It seems to be “No, I didn’t come to destroy you.” He could have sent the impure spirit to hell, or heaven (which would have been hell.) He could have destroyed what He had created. He could have done a lot of things. What He did is kick the impure spirit out of his home, leaving him free to go wherever it wished, to torment others.
          The passage doesn’t tell us why Jesus chose plan B over the impure spirit’s stated plan A. He might have had pity on the impure spirit, hoping that someday, it would repent. I know some believe that’s not possible, and it may not be, but if we’re going to speculate, we may as well give the full range of speculation. Even knowing that the impure spirit will never repent or willingly submit to Him, I believe He still loved the impure spirit. Removing it was sufficient to the needs of the man in whom it resided.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t