Skip to main content

Proclaiming Freedom


and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
 to proclaim
the year of the Lord’s favor.” (Luke 4:17-19)

          Today’s passage is another mix of the two themes on my heart: the reason He came and freedom. He was sent, and therefore, He came, to proclaim good news to the poor and freedom for the prisoners and the oppressed, recovery of sight for the blind, and the year of the Lord’s favor. Twice, He said He was sent to proclaim freedom.
          These proclamations were given to specific people: the prisoners and the oppressed. He didn’t put them together the way I have. Even Isaiah, who penned the original prophecy, didn’t put them together. Poor does not equal oppressed. Given that when Jesus told them that the prophecy had been fulfilled, He didn’t overthrow the Roman government and release all the political prisoners or the politically or socially oppressed. He didn’t even teach them how to achieve freedom for themselves. His proclamations don’t seem to have had anything to do with politics or human governance. If those things had been His focus, He could have fixed it all without dying. There are people who have usurped this idea of proclaiming freedom, who are exploiting it for political purposes.
            I want to celebrate the freedom that He proclaimed, but I’m feeling a little like I’m in Plato’s cave. I’ve been watching these shadows and listening to others talk about freedom. I’ve turned from those shadows and walked toward the mouth of the cave, but there’s a bright light there, and the ground beneath my feet is starting to give and slide a little. What was a solid rock is now sand, or maybe even grass. Walking out into the real world, like being born, is more than a change of location. There are new experiences, new responsibilities, new things to learn. It feels safer and more comfortable to return to the cave and its shadows. It’s easier to be complicit in the oppression, to act as our own prison guards.
          This year is rapidly coming to a close. It has meant a lot of changes. I don’t think I’ve quite left the cave I was living in, but I’m closer to the exit than I was. The thing about freedom is that it involves taking responsibility for one's choices, And that's always frightening. I have a feeling that 2020 is going to be a year of freedom for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t