Skip to main content

Foreknowledge

 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:

Grace and peace be yours in abundance. (I Peter 1:1-2)


Before I formed you in the womb I knew youbefore you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” (Jeremiah 1:5)


He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, (II Timothy 1:9)

 

Yesterday, I addressed what might be called the historical aspects of this passage, dealing with who wrote it, when and their motivations for disputing it. Today, I’d like to deal with the contents. First, some theology. The people to whom Peter was written were chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father. This choosing, according to Jeremiah 1:5 and II Timothy 1:9 before we were in the womb and before the beginning of time.

This angers some people and reassures others. It angers those who consider it as interfering with their godhood. We all tend to have that response fairly frequently – whenever God doesn’t bow to our dictates. It is also an excuse: “God didn’t pick me, so nothing I do is my fault,” and “God picked me, so it doesn’t matter what I do.” The problem is that those who are angry that God hasn’t chosen them are forgetting the last word on the matter: yet. He hasn’t chosen them yet – as far as they know. But unless they know everything that will happen between now and when they die, they can still have hope that He will someday reveal that He did choose them before time began. There is room for hope.

The second internal note is again the presence of the Trinity. All three persons of the triune God are involved in the process. The vote is unanimous. The effort is united. And the effort is grace, or the granting of favor because of our failure to deserve it, in spite of our failure to deserve it, and with full acknowledgment that we have failed to deserve it.

I’m reminded again of a TV show I watched way back when. In the pilot (I think) of Mod Squad, a Black punk, a White punk, and a White female punk were hired by the police department. At one point, a car races into the tunnel where they stood, and the guys both grab the girl and drag her along to escape the car. Dragging her out of the way when she couldn’t have made it by herself is grace. Peace is her not fighting with the guys, insisting that she can do it herself!  And what does Peter say? “Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t