Skip to main content

Where Do You Set The Bar?

 

Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors,  but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. (I Peter 1:17-19) 

“It’s my life…my body…my right!”

“I can do what I want, with whom I want, when I want, where I want, in the manner that I want, and as much as I want…as long as I don’t (think I) hurt anyone.”

People talk about Narcissism as if it’s either someone else’s problem or a problem for them only if someone else is the Narcissist. But Scripture has been pointing out the folly of vanity since the days of Solomon, and probably much longer. In fact, our word, vanity comes from a Latin term meaning “empty.” So when Peter says that “it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors,” he could have used the word vain instead of empty.

And vanity is at the heart of the I, me, my, myself claims we make so casually. Consider …

“It’s my life…my body…my right!” So instead of doing things that will last, that will help, last, benefit, build strength, demonstrate love, or in any way produce a positive outcome, I’ll waste it by being short-sighted, selfish, useless, petty, thoughtless or even destructive just because it makes me feel good for 10 minutes. Empty. Vain.

The problem is that these statements are examples of assumed privilege. It’s saying, “I am telling you in no uncertain terms that you absolutely have no right to tell me how to live my life. Now, do as I command you to. Either celebrate what I’m doing or shut up and go away. That’s an order!” It sounds like time to check that privilege.

            Don’t get me wrong here. I’m very much in favor of our not dictating how others are to run their lives. I bristle as much as – possibly more than – others when someone decides that they are my parents, my masters, or my God and therefore that I must obey them. But the point here is that the standard should be the same for both. If I don’t have a right to tell you how to live your life, you don’t have a right to tell me I don’t have a right. Your only alternative is to convince me that I shouldn’t tell you how to live your life.

“I can do what I want…as long as I don’t (think I) hurt anyone.” I didn’t put anyone in the hospital, I didn’t nuke the city, I didn’t actively or purposely hurt anyone. Isn’t that a pretty low bar to set? Is it really all about what you didn’t do that makes what you did do acceptable? Did you do anyone any actual good? Did you actually do yourself any good?

Who gets to judge? A child-abuser may claim to be teaching manners or strength. A pedophile will claim he is loving the child he abuses. Of course, we disagree, and I think we’re right to disagree, but if it’s wrong for me to stand in judgment over you then how is it your right to stand in judgment over them?  

Here are some answers to consider. If someone shares Scripture in context and supported by the rest of Scripture (no cherry-picking half a verse), accept it at least until you can discuss it with someone you trust and who knows Scripture. If the primary authorities in your life after God: your parents, mentors, etc.) advise it. Friends do not fall into the category of primary authorities. If it violates your will, but not your conscience, accept it. You may not like what you’re being told, but unless you can point to reasons it is objectively wrong, accept it. If it sets the bar for the behavior in the “doing what is in the best interest” and “doing great good” range, go for it. If it’s in the “won’t hurt” range, don’t.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t