Skip to main content

The End Result

            Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (I Peter 1:8-9)

Are you filled with inexpressible and glorious joy because you’re receiving salvation? My immediate response is, “Um, no.” I’m not even doing a computer chair dance, let alone whooping it up. But then I remember that the first task in any discussion or argument is to define the terms and that the worst possible place to look for a definition of a term is to the world. To the world, joy is whooping it up. Even to an extrovert or a person who processes information more through their feelings than through the mind, joy is probably dancing. But for me? The extreme of emotion usually results in my doing the “twist” in my chair, with the chair going back and forth maybe six inches in either direction about four times. Throw in a fist pump, and you can tell I’m excited.

I’m reminded of a “table topics” challenge I had when I was in Toastmasters. I was asked to express joy for between one and two minutes. I sat, quiet but smiling until the minute passed. I didn’t win the vote for best table topic of the evening, and I suspect most of my fellow Toastmasters didn’t get it. I don’t like to feel “out loud.”

I’ll grant that joy can include lots of demonstration. But it’s not the same as excitement or even happiness. It was either Gary Chapman or Gary Smalley who described job in terms of the feeling one associates with knowing - deep down knowing – that one is loved or cared for. I like to add that it includes knowing that the one who loves or cares for you is capable in that capacity. It’s nice to know one’s dog loves you, but there’s a deeper joy in knowing that a human being who can bring home an income, help with the chores, and set out your medicine when you’re old loves you. And that means that there should be an even greater joy when you know that someone who could take care of your need for salvation has done so.

Unfortunately, there’s another challenge with feeling joy, just as there is with any emotion. We get used to them, just as we get used to pictures on the wall. We get to the point where they fade into the background unless our attention is drawn to them. Emotions are also like drugs. Over time, we seem to need bigger hits of emotion to recognize that we’re feeling them. The average dating relationship lasts two years, nine months. The average marriage lasts eight years. The excitement fades. That’s one of the good things about anniversaries, if done right, they provide a reminder, a little hit of joy.

That’s why we need Scripture. It provides us with reminders when we’re in a part of life that feels like “staying home, cleaning the house, and taking care of two kids under the age of 4 all by ourselves, day after day.” We are receiving the salvation of our souls. Oh yeah, that’s right. That’s what this is all about.

And we’re receiving the salvation of our souls as an end result. Why are you raising those “children”? Because when you’re done, they will be good, productive people who will make a difference in the world – and in your life. Your joy isn’t in the dirty diapers, it’s in what the dirty diapers will lead to.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him, he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:1-3)

This doesn’t mean Jesus skipped on His way to the cross, but He went with great determination. So, don’t grow weary or lose heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t