Skip to main content

The Living God

               For we know him who said, “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” and again, “The Lord will judge his people.” It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God (Hebrews 10:30-31)

                This passage can be confusing. Throughout Scripture, we’re told how loving God is. Jesus came and died to save us. He commanded us to love one another. If God is nasty, it’s the Old Testament God, and Jesus basically made Him irrelevant, didn’t He? The answer to that is “No,” but within that line of thinking, why would it be dreadful to fall into His hands?

What does it even mean to “fall into the hands of” someone? We might think in terms of falling into someone’s arms, which involves an embrace. That’s not the same as falling into someone’s hands. Generally speaking, falling into someone’s hands means that one is in the grasp and control of someone one doesn’t want to be. And putting magic aside, if that is the case, it is dreadful, whether they mean you harm or well.  Think how dreadful it was to be a kid who fell into the hands of their parents. The parents may have meant well, but the kid didn’t get to do what they wanted or faced consequences for doing something unpermitted. The same kid “fell into the hands” of schools and possibly of the local law enforcement. Dreadful is simply the nature of a “falling into the hands of” situation.

                Falling into the hands of a living God, then, would be dreadful because the person doing the falling doesn’t want to be there. They wouldn't want to be there because falling into the hands of a living God means they aren’t in charge.  They don’t get to make the rules or impose their judgments. If the person wants to be there, they aren’t falling into the hands of a living God; they’re falling into His arms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...