Be glad, people of Zion, rejoice in the Lord your God, for he has given you the autumn rains because He is faithful. He sends you abundant showers, both autumn and spring rains, as before. (Joel 2:23)
This was the verse chosen by
BibleGateway.com for the day. I try to use them so I’m not writing about the
same things all the time. It’s also a verse I’d like to hold God to. In fact, I’d
like Him to provide summer rains, too. Of course, the passage makes it clear
that it wasn’t a promise, and it was specific to Zion, not to me on a hill over
one of the Great Lakes, where water is available whenever we want it, as long
as we pay the price. So the verse might not seem to apply to me, or to you
wherever you are.
What’s more, even as a sort-of promise to Zion, it’s messy. The last two words of the verse give the
impression that there was a cessation in the spring and autumn rains. God was
giving them again, after an interruption. It’s not a verse that bodes well for
us today
Except for four words: because
He is faithful. It doesn’t have to be autumn or spring rains, and it may
not be as neat and tidy as we’d like (from our perspective). What He will be
faithful with or about may be something we don’t think much about. Or it might
be something we didn’t think we could live without (and still don’t think we can). But because He is faithful, He will supply. It may not be what we think we want or need, but He will provide, and for that reason, we can be glad or rejoice,
even if it’s not “raining” yet. This is what I need to remember.
Comments
Post a Comment