Skip to main content

Loneliness

               Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?  Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. (Ecclesiastes 4:11-12)

                This passage was one mentioned during my Sunday School class, in which the topic was loneliness. I’m not sharing this to get pity or to make others feel like they have to do something for me. I’m sharing it to explore and to invite others to explore as well. But these verses hit a little close to home. I don’t tend to think of myself as lonely. I’m used to being on my own.

                At the same time, I’ve written before about recognizing the benefits of community. Some of them are included in the passage above. As we discussed loneliness, I realized that I am facing a sort of loneliness. It’s not a wish or longing for someone to spend time with me, to pay attention to me, etc. It’s a practical problem. I am going to need to have people around, and I don’t tend to think that I have the sort of relationships that make that easy or comfortable. I know quite a few people that I like, but the idea of depending on them or having them in my home is intimidating. This may be a kind of loneliness.

                I may also have also been on the other side of this. A little over a week ago, a neighbor asked me if I’d seen his mother. She’d disappeared. While he started (continued?) looking, I started checking with neighbors, and soon had a group out looking for her. She was actually home the whole time, but there was that sense of someone potentially alone and in need.

                It’s not an emotional loneliness, exactly, though it can probably turn into one. It’s a practical, technical sort of loneliness that involves lacking something necessary other than comradery. Someone needs some practical help and doesn’t have a network to call on or doesn’t think they do. They don’t want to impose on others. They don’t want other to know their lifestyle or living space isn’t perfect. They don’t want to seem weak, poor, or a failure. There are lots of reasons but what may be at its core may be pride or fear. And, one solution is to deliberately invite people in – not to help, but just to make the connections so that you have someone you can ask for help when you need it, and who can ask for your help when they need it without either of you feeling awkward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...