This is what the Lord says— your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go. (Isaiah 48:17)
W…D…AAAA… You’ve read my cries
and heard my request: wisdom…direction…ATTITUDE. Some people think I have a bad attitude, or even a chronic one. There are so
many ways that an attitude can be bad, so if I don’t have one now, give me
0.972 seconds, and I probably will. Bad attitudes are easy. Good attitudes take
work.
The current attitude issue boils
down to control, as it so often does. On my walk this morning, I found myself
in familiar territory. I’m not afraid of surgery. I’m afraid of recovery. I’m
not afraid of death; I’m afraid of the process of dying. And no, I don’t feel
in immediate danger of the latter; it’s just an observation. I believe God is
directing me in the way I should go. I believe He will use the next six months
to teach me what is best for me., but it’s as we face the road signs that take
us in ways that interfere with our sense of godhood, or at least that require us
to take off the mask and cape that we imagine we’re wearing, it’s easy to get
anxious or angry. The truth is that taking the way God says we should go often
requires some measure of death and mourning, if only of the lies we have
believed.
Another factor in God’s directing
us in the way we should go is that God isn’t a GPS unit. We can’t scroll
through the directions in advance. More often than not, He doesn’t announce
that we should turn right in half a mile…a quarter of a mile…500 feet, etc. It’s
closer to “Turn right NOW.” Sometimes, the directions can feel like a detour
because we missed a turn, but be the plan all along. God doesn’t always work
that way. There are times when I can see a change of direction coming, but can’t
tell when I’ll reach it. The past couple of weeks had an example of that. I
asked a question that led to a referral, then a phone call, then an
appointment, and the process has begun. A month ago, I probably would have deferred
the whole thing to a later date.
Comments
Post a Comment