Skip to main content

Be Still

             God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging... He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” (Psalm 46:1-3 &10)

 

            “Where was God when…?”

            It’s a question often asked when something bad happens because we expect that any real god would do something spectacular (or at least minorly spectacular) like parting the Red Sea or making our meager supply of cooking oil to last years. I’m as guilty as anyone in this regard. At the very least, we want God to show up “personally” so to speak, and not involving some agency like a human being or a building.

            The truth is that God is in the disaster not destroying the world. He is with the rescue workers and volunteers that help. He is there in ways that we don’t tend to recognize, and there’s a good reason we don’t recognize Him. God said, “Be still,” but when things aren’t going according to our preferences, we don’t tend to be still. Some of us whine. Some grumble. Others rage, fret, stress, kvetch, complain, shout, or whimper.

            But God says, “Be still, and know that I am God.” Supposedly, when someone is drowning, those trying to rescue him may have to wait until the person stops struggling, or risk being drown as well. It’s not that the drowning person doesn’t want to be saved, and it’s not that the rescuer doesn’t want to rescue, but the natural response of a panicking person to do things that endanger the rescuer. I’m not suggesting that God can’t help someone who is “drowning.” What I’m suggesting is that the person being rescued may not be able to understand or respond to the rescuer, which means the person being rescued is likely to not be able to know his rescuer until or unless the person being rescued becomes quiet.

            Another way to see something of the same problem is in terms of the person who won’t let you get a word in edgewise. How can they possibly get to know you if they can’t be still and experience you? His command to “Be still” isn’t the command of an egomaniac. It’s a simple truth.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t