Skip to main content

Sandy Soil...

                 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” (Matthew 7:24-27)

 

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. (Proverbs 4:7)

 

One of the bits of jargon I’ve been hearing lately is “single-use.” People are advocating against using any piece of plastic (or anything else) that is designed to be used and thrown away. It’s supposed to be thriftier and better for the environment, though they don’t seem to take into account the impact of cleaning the multi-use items. Sometimes, we tend to think of Scripture passages as being “single-use.” They can be applied to one thing only, and after that, they’re useless.

Most of us are familiar with the passage from the Sermon the Mount. It’s likely we were taught it as children with the teaching that those who have faith in Christ have built their houses on rocks, while those who don’t have faith in Christ have built theirs on sand. Why is it, then, that when something goes wrong in life, even Christians tend to feel as though they’re on shifting sands. The rug has been pulled out from under them, they’re thrown for a loop, etc. Yes, after a time, they’re likely to come around to something that feels more solid, and that’s undoubtedly God’s goal. But the point is that unsaved sand versus saved rock is not the only application of this idea.

Another application is carnal sand versus spiritual rock. When we are living by ourselves (with ourselves as our primary reference point, not with no other people in the home,) we are likely to find the terrain sandy. When we’re living for another person, our sense of reality depends on their shifting sand of experiences and feelings. It’s like Peter’s walk on the water. When we focus on something other than Jesus, our footing tends to be  unsteady and we cry out that we’re drowning.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t